Friday, May 14, 2021

Day 3188: Another Dad story.

 

"High Hair": ink drawing, markers, journal page with fold-out hair.

 

 



Want music?




Click here, Player, Baby Come Back.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

A Dad Story ...

(I should number them, but I don't know where to start?)


I will preface the story with the fact that my Dad 
grew up during the Great Depression. It hit him, 
his family & everybody he knew, hard. 
It scarred him for life. 
He was beyond frugal, way beyond. 
He couldn't afford to go to school, but he could drive. So, he became a Greyhound bus driver, with many safety awards. He loved to swim and became an Olympic caliber diver. He made the US team, selected by famous Coach Sammy Lee
 Two months later he had tuberculosis and was in a facility.  
He missed the Olympics and his dream opportunity. Life wasn't easy. 
He raised me to know that.






Home from boarding school for the weekend, at age 9, I mentioned to my Dad that DeDe, my roommate & friend at school, had allergies. Without missing a beat, my Dad said "we don't have allergies, allergies are for rich people." 
You would have liked my Dad, 
most everybody did.



 

 
 

•  A sweet 3-minute video, spaghetti ice cream?, here.


 
 
Just because ...
 
Banded Pitta


  
                    

Smiles for Friday ...
 
 




 


 






                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

5 comments:

john said...

I just love the idea of folding hair. Puts a smile on my face! :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks John, she is on a p-age of a 6x6" rough-edged, w/e paper journal.
When you come to her you can see that it is a fold-up and when you raise it, ther is all of this extra hair.

elenor said...

Jacki, I got your mail this afternoon. 11 days, that's quite good for this long distance? THANK YOU so much, you are so kind to send me such wonderful art.
The fold-out hair is such a good idea and it makes this young lady so pretty.
Thanks for your Dad story. We often complain about the restrictions due to the pandemic but when I hear what life was like when your father grew up we still live in heaven. I never experienced hunger or extreme poverty and all these hard restrictions we have are tame in comparison to the circumstances at that time.
Happy weekend, dear Jacki.

Unknown said...

Came here for the sunflowers. Love the beautiful picture of the fold-out hair! Also your father sounds like a brilliant man- sometimes we don't realize while we have them here ❤

Anonymous said...

Wow such a inspiring & motivational start to my day thanks to you! I have lots of stories like yours that my grandparents often told me growing up. Also during The Great Depression. They too lived life frugal until the days they both passed. I truly believe that could be the true key to happiness. Just living frugal, staying humble & remaining grounded. Shields us from so much this world overlooks & under-prepares us for today. Such as covid & how fast it can rip threw & change the way of life for everyone. It’s easier said than done though! Loved the photos & quotes along side your story!! I’m sorry your dad faced such hardship’s during his prime years. I’m sure to you he will always hold the gold regardless! Thanks for sharing!