Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Day 3185: A Dad story.

 

 

 

"Beatriz": ink drawing, acrylic and digital.

 



Want music?




Click here, the Righteous Brothers, Unchained Melody.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 

 

2GN2S

 Some have mentioned that you like my Dad stories. There are a lot of them, I call this one ... the reluctant barber. At age 15, I returned from Australia to live with my Dad in his tiny house (here) and to start high school at John Marshall.


As mentioned earlier, Dad was thrifty, frugal, prudent, close-fisted & penny-pinching. All of those! And in fairness, he did grow up during the depression. He was a single man after the divorce, when I was 5. So he didn't need much, or have much.
Early on, Dad decided I could save him some money.
He bought a barber kit from Sears.


Dad & barber kit


I hated the idea, but that didn't matter, he announced that I was his new barber. I asked, what if I botch it up? He said: "you'll learn." What if I nick it and you have a bald spot? He said, "it will grow back." I did both of those, but he never minded, since it was free. This went on for the three year till I left for college. But that wasn't the end of it. Whenever we lived in the same proximity, the reluctant barber was called back back on duty. This was true to the very end.


 

 
 

•  A sweet 2-minute video, Baby Wallaby, here.


 
 
Just because ...
 
Blue-throated Bee-eater




  
                    

Smiles for Tuesday ...
 

 










                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

8 comments:

john said...

Beatriz is just amazing. Her personality just jumps off the page. I love the barber story, too. You do rock you know, Jacki! :-)

jacki long said...

Oh thanks so much John! Your kind words make my day.
Wishing you a super day today.

elenor said...

Your Dad story is so lovely again. Such precious memories. Thanks for sharing.

Branmuffin said...

That's a quality barber kit. I bet it still works to this day!

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor. Yes, so many memories. Thank you for the beautiful photos.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Brandon. You know, I don't know what happened to it?? I haven't missed the barbering.

Irene Rafael said...

Love Beatriz yours and the in person Beatriz😉. I had never heard that Dad story. Another skill of yours I didn’t know about.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Irene. I love it when you have time to comment. Yes, so many Dad stories, I should number them.