Sunday, April 30, 2023

Day 3908: Monk seal and a trip.

"Help!": collage, digital


                                         

Want music?

                                            
 

Click here: Smokey Robinson, Just to See Her.   

 click back on this blog here to listen while you browse, or not?

 

2GN2S ...

Hawaiian officials block beach to protect adorable endangered monk seal pup

A popular beach in Honolulu, Hawaii, was shuttered last week for a very special birthday. An endangered Hawaiian monk seal pup was born on Kaimana Beach, where it'll spend the next five-to-seven weeks nursing from its mother and generally learning how to be a seal. A temporary fence was erected around the beach to protect the two, but also to safeguard human beachgoers unfamiliar with the ferocity of a mother seal. The Hawaiian monk seal is one of the most endangered seal species in the world, mostly due to habitat loss, so every pup counts — and it helps, too, that this baby is so darn cute. To many more birthdays, young pup!

   

Want to read more? here
 


A Dad story (TMI?)

As I mentioned in Day 55 post, September 16, 2012 on the 1990 trip with my Dad. Dad called me on his 80th birthday. He'd traveled all over the world, but hadn't been to Asia. He said he would pay my way (this from the frugal man who was prudent his whole life) if I would go with him, otherwise he would go alone. I went on a three week 5 star vacation.


 
We left on a special three week tour. We never carried our bags. They were delivered to our hotel room,  picked up at our room to be delivered to our next destination. Talk about luxury. I had never traveled that way, and probably won't again.  

From Los Angeles we visited Japan, Hong Kong, Macaw, China, Bali, Yogyakarta, Singapore, Bangkok, Seoul, Korea. These pictures will be from Hong Kong.
 

I don't think I have ever seen my Dad happier 
than riding the "Junk" in Hong Kong Harbor.
He said it was just like in the movies.
This was one view from the water. 
Three levels of Hong Kong living.
 
I took so many pictures, and later did some digitally.
Chung King Apartments.
I paid for our side trip to China.  This was  a farm in China, where grain was spread to dry.
 
 
We visited Yogyakarta. The morning of our flight to Java, I asked what we would see there? They said, Oh, you're going to the Borobudur!" I had never heard of this amazing destination. This famous Buddhist temple, dating from the 8th and 9th centuries, is located in central Java. It was covered with volcanic eruptions for over a thousand years. It was built in three tiers: a pyramidal base with five concentric square terraces, the trunk of a cone with three circular platforms and, at the top, a monumental stupa. The walls and balustrades are decorated with fine low reliefs, covering the total surface area. Around the circular platforms are 72 openwork stupas, each containing a statue of the Buddha. The monument was restored with UNESCO's help in the 1970s, and opened to the public in 1981.


The Borobudur Temple looked like this 
as I started my walk.

It was a warm day and Dad chose to stay on the bus with A/C.  I wanted to see the temple, huge, ten levels, with very steep stairways. 

Steps were 12" high and 8" deep, so my big foot had to be angled.

Our guide said togo to the top ensured going to heaven. I was going to aim for heaven.

I was determined.

Each pupa held a Buddha, each with different 

hand positions depending on the direction faced.


Two hours later, I was in heaven.
It remains the most impressive place I have ever visited, both in size and historic significance.


             
On our way home, My Dad thanked me for 
going with him.I thanked him too, but said he 
didn't really give me a choice since he said he 
would go alone. He said, "Oh, I wouldn't have".
                              Thanks Dad.




 
 
A great 1+ minute video, Penzi's party, here.


 
Just because ...
  

Purple Starling




 


Smiles for Sunday ...
  

 

 
 







                             Thanks for coming by today ...

 

 

 



4 comments:

john said...

I know your theme and understand the title because of that. But if I did not know that I would have exclaimed differently on this one. It is totally amazing no matter. You are topping yourself, my dear friend. :-)

jacki long said...

Oh, thanks so much, John. I got pretty quirky with this one?

elenor said...

Jacki, these are really great memories you will never forget and you always will be happy when you are thinking of them. I guess your father wanted to tell you how much he loved and appreciated you.
Thanks for telling this touching story.

jacki long said...

Thank you Elenor. Yes, my Dad didn't say he loved me until I was older. You had to earn his respect.When Older, he said it a lot.