Friday, April 14, 2023

Day 3891: The Writer and the Copyist.

  

"Sharing Loads": junk mail collage, digital.

  * PS Alert: My significant other (Mac Pro laptop) is still ill, and not himself. I am not able to format, so things are out of place.


                                         

Want music?

                                          

Click here: Take Six, Overjoyed

 click back on this blog here to listen while you browse, or not?

 

 

2GN2S ...

The writer is the composer, the reader is the musician of the book

Some “unplayable” sheet music by John Stump

In this great interview with James Hannaham, he talks about how his musical background influences his writing:

When you write pretty much anything, you’re essentially asking someone to read a musical score—to hear it in their head. So an attentiveness to sound and rhythm and meter is really useful to your aesthetic as somebody who’s putting words on a page. It’s pretty similar to putting notes on a staff, in its way.

 
from Austim Kleon's newsletter, here.


 

The Art of the Copyist

 Recently, I heard an artist's conversation about wanting to experience copying an art master.

Artist, Jaz Knight
 

It is not unusual for an advanced art student to be assigned to copy one of the old masters. Then just today I read a very short article, titled as above. Not much information but the 5 minute video, here, is excellent in letting us discover the pleasure of sustained looking alongside contemporary artist Jas Knight as he copies Diego Velázquez’s Juan de Pareja (1650)

Jaz Knight's copy of Diego Velázquez’s Juan de Pareja

Side-note: when I was working on my masters, I did see Dr. Nichols (head of the art department) assign some students to copy an art master. As for me, she sent me to the campus gallery with a strobe light and a very long extension cord to study which color the masters put on last. You can imagine how silly I looked?



 
 
A great 2+ minute video, Wildlife Hospitalhere.

 
Just because ...
  
Tufted Puffin



 


Smiles for Friday ...
  
 
 
 
 




 

 

                             Thanks for coming by today ...



3 comments:

elenor said...

Jacki, I really enjoyed the 5 minute video. It's such a pleasure to see how the copy is done and I'm totally in awe of the artist who is able to do this.
Happy Sunday, Jacki.

john said...

Quilt-ish and the perfect color choices. Rocking it, Jacki!

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenor, yes, I agree the copyist is very talented. It's about really seeing, and most of us don't. Have a great week!