Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Day 3881: 106 and tattoo.


"Change"; photography

 * PS Alert: My significant other (Mac Pro laptop) is still ill, and not himself. I am not able to format, so things are out of place, it will be better soon??  ;op


Want music?

                                            
 

Click here: DeBarge, All This Love

 click back on this blog here to listen while you browse, or not? 



2GN2S...

Special Treat!

 Recently, I posted a 2GN2S about a 106 year old tattoo artist in Malaysia. (here)

Apo Whang-Od, a 106-year-old tattoo artist from the Philippines who is now the oldest Vogue cover model.


I just learned today,(that good friend and fellow Karate-ka) Sam Zimmerman from Minnesota, has been there and has a tattoo done by Apo Whang Od. I told her that I had to know more about her trip and Sam obliged me with words and great photos and even permission to use them for this silly blog.


"I went in 2016. We rode a bus through the night to a smaller village, then got on a jeepney (kinda like a bus jeep - that's the white vehicle). 

We rode on the top of it for 5 hours, then got to the village at the bottom of the mountain that was our destination. 

We then rode on the backs of motorbikes, and finished by hiking up the mountain. 

Modes of transportation, and a nice springs area that was too cold for me to swim in


Then we were in Buscalan village, home of Apo Whang-Od.


Some views from the village. The hut is right next to where she tattoos, so I had a great view!

It's in shadow, but I gave her some gifts and then she checked to make sure I was a woman 🙃 I feel like I should elaborate on one part- she speaks no English, nor does she speak Tagalog (official language of the Philippines), so there were two translators. She asked if I really was a woman, but by the time that got translated to me she just went ahead and checked for herself by checking my chest 😂 everyone jaws dropped, it was so funny to see! I told her "I keep my hair short so it stays out of my face," and she said "you should just wear a scarf like me"


Tools and a bit of the mountains and path to get to Whang-Od and the village
 



   She wore my gifts (sweatshirt and beads) the next day when she tattooed me.
 
 
My favorite picture is when we're both looking in the direction of the camera


 

 
 


And her grandniece did part of the tattoo.

   

The tattoo swelled up like crazy.
 

Their coffee is amazing, and I brought back 20 kilos of it (to share) 
 

I took notes so I could post how to get there, but I never got around to it 😅 back when I went, the only directions for how to get there were on travel blogs."


*All photos and words are by Sam Zimmerman.
 
(I think this is the best blog in a long time, just sayin' )
 Thanks Sam!
 


 
 
A great 2+minute video, Sr. computer helphere.



 
Just because ...
  

Crested Coua




 


Smiles for Tuesday ...
  
  


 
 

 





                             Thanks for coming by today ...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


2 comments:

john said...

So calming and peaceful. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks John, it's how I wish it could be.