Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Day 3531: Devastation.

 

 

"Devastation": junk mail collage


 



Want music?




Click here: Cheryl Lynn, Got To Be Real.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

2GN2S ...

National Park Ranger Betty Reid Soskin just retired at age 100. That's right, 100.


Many of us hope to make it to our 85th birthday in good enough health to be active. Betty Reid Soskin did far more than that when she became a park ranger for the National Park Service the year she turned 85. And for the past 15 years, she has served as a ranger at Rosie the Riveter World War II Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, California, sharing forgotten histories of the home-front war effort.

On March 31, the National Park Service announced that Soskin was retiring—at age 100.

 However, Soskin indicated years ago that such longevity shouldn't surprise us. Her mother lived until 101, her great-grandmother lived until 102 and her great-aunt lived to 107—and they all stayed busy until their passing.

In 2020, at age 98, Soskin told KTVU "I can't believe I've reached this age. Inside is 19-year-old Betty." At that point, she had cut back from giving interpretive talks from five days to one day a week after suffering a stroke five months before, but still she kept going in her service as a park ranger. She said there was something she was still meant to do.

"I haven't any idea what it is," she said. "I have no idea, except that it's there. It's something that I am to accomplish and I haven't done it yet."

 If you want to enjoy one of Soskin's talks, here you go. She is, in a word, riveting. May we all live as long and as well as Ranger Betty.

 

 

 
Update ...  a little story.

Many have asked where my Grandhunks get their height from?  I hunted up a picture of my Grandpa, 
 their great, great Grandpa, who was 6'6" then,


Uncle Skete, Aunt Fern, Aunt Pauline, Uncle Owen, Aunt Martha, Uncle Jerry & Grandpa.

really tall back then. A farmer and father of ten!


Original 10 children, two boys died after childbirth, Ralph died at 16 of appendicitis.
 

I remember sitting on my Grandpa's lap when I was very little. Some were intimidated by his size, 
but I was sure he was a softie inside. 
I remember his scruffy stubble.
Once I climbed up on him, uninvited, 
after I had eaten bread with sorghum
I was sticky and got him sticky. 
He made a fuss but smiled, 
and I knew it was okay. 
I think I did it several times after that, a new game. 


 

 
 
 
A terrific 3-minute video, puppy factshere.


 
Just because ...
 
 
Teal-owl

 
 
 


Smiles for Wednesday ...
 
 


 
 


 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

4 comments:

john said...

This is a strong abstract, totally bold. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. I really appreciate your comments.

elenor said...

You need just a handful pieces of junk mail to make a powerful collage. I think you can make an artwork with any piece of paper you get into your hands. Jacki, you are the best.
I also liked to read about this beautiful and amazing 100 year old lady. That's so encouraging.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor for your oh so kind words. You flatter me. Yes, I was thrilled to find the article on Miss Soskin, what an impressive lady! I hope you listened to a little of her speech? She is so eloquent.