Friday, December 16, 2022

Day 3771: Flying trains and sadness.


"Weary": digital collage.



Want music?




Click here: Jack Johnson, Imagine.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 

2GN2S ...  

Flying without wings: The world's fastest trains 

 China's is leading the world in the introduction of Maglev train services.

As the world faces up to climate change, short-haul flights look increasingly unattractive to many travelers. The flygskam (flight shame) phenomenon that started in Scandinavia is already inspiring many travelers to reduce their reliance on airlines.

Until someone proves otherwise, high-speed rail is the most effective alternative to air travel for journeys of up to 1,100 kilometers (700 miles). Shuttling passengers between city centers at speeds of 290 kph (180 mph) or more, it offers a compelling combination of speed and convenience.
 
China's Fuxing trains can carry 1,200 passengers at speeds of 350 kph.

France's TGV trains were Europe's first high-speed service.

Long nose on Japan's Shinkansen trains is designed to reduce sonic booms in tunnels.
  
Italy's Red Arrow or Frecciarossa trains can hit speeds of 400 kph.

Saudi Arabia's Haramain trains are modified to cope with desert heat.

For more information and photos, click here.


Sad news. My younger cousin, Martha Rockey passed away Wednesday in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Nancy, a friend, little Martha, Donna, Katha, me.

 She was the bravest, kindest, most caring person I have ever known. Younger sister of Nancy and Donna. She has been fighting illness for some time after multiple surgeries and infections. Yet she never mentioned or complained. She started a group to help disadvantaged pre-kindergarteners prepare for success in kindergarten. She was a retired elementary school teacher, active in her church and town. Martha is survived by her husband, John. Her daughter, Janice, her son, Brian and nine beautiful grandchildren

The world has lost one of it's best. 
Thank you to those who included her in your prayers.
 



 
 
 
A 6-minute video, pigeon impossiblehere.


 
Just because ...
 
Knob-billed duck



 


Smiles for Friday ...
 
 

   
  
 
 




 

                             Thanks for coming by today

 


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jacki, I am so very sorry for your loss. May Martha fly on angels wings.

john said...

I am sorry for the loss of your cousin, Jacki. I know you are close to your family in Indiana. I know you have fond memories of the two of you.

I can not even imagine how Zelinsky must feel. He has a heavy burden on his shoulders. I am sure he must be exhausted.

Carrol Wolf said...

Dear Jacki,

So sorry for your loss and for all of those many who loved and cherished her. What a lovely gift she was while she was here.

We are never ready to part from our loved ones, and I hope you can keep her close by remembering all your times with her and using her as a wonderful teacher to us all. I think in many ways you already do this, because when you described her here in this blog, I felt like you were describing yourself. Big hug.

jacki long said...

Thank you Anonymous! I am sure she is, she will fit right in.

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. I picked that photo because he looks so tired. I am glad he is younger when the energy recharged readily?

jacki long said...

Aww, thanks so much Carrol! That is a huge compliment. If I could be a quarter as good as Martha, I'd be satisfied. Thanks again.

elenor said...

So sorry for your loss, Jacky.
When I look at this lovely photograph I ask myself what these children were dreaming of, what they expected of their life and which dreams came true? I hope they all had a good and happy life.

jacki long said...

Yes, even though Martha had a lot of health issues, she focused on others and would say she had a wonderful life. There are only two of us left from that picture.