Thursday, December 16, 2021

Day 3405: Past Blast.

 

"Michele's card": junk mail collage

 

 



Want music?




Click here for "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole, Over the Rainbow
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

Postdate ...

 
Way back in 1984, I was invited to bring some of my students from Demura Sensei's Costa Mesa dojo to a tournament in San Fernando Valley. It was before Christmas so we took those available. We did not know it was to be a backdrop for a movie. When we arrived, I was asked if I could help judge for the movie, I agreed and was sent off to wardrobe. 
 


I was just an extra, working three days total. Black belts from Demura Sensei's Newport dojo had active fighting parts. It was fun to watch. We had no idea of the hit it would be. I remember saying, if you saw me in the movie you would have to stop action and use a magnifying glass. I never saw me.

Just this week, my former and a favorite student, Christopher Bright sent me proof. He had a boxed set of all the Karate Kid movies and he found me. Almost half of my life ago, it was surprising to see.

The video is shown in today's video, and the still is in Throwback Thursday. I did get paid a little, and was given the judges uniform. The kids thought it was "neat" so I gave it as a prize for something? 

 

Billy Zabda, Christopher Ford, and me. 1984.

 One day there were several famous martial arts stars visiting the set. Mr. Dan Ivan invited me to have lunch with them. Famous stars, Joe Louis, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace, Sensei Yamashita and others told stories as they ate. I sat as quiet as a mouse, just taking it all in and feeling very lucky to be there. Then Mr. Wallace said something funny and I laughed. He looked over at me and said, "are you laughing at me?" I was speechless and red as a beet, which provided another laugh for the group. Very nice memories for me.

 

 

Throwback Thursday ... 


set of Karate Kid 1, 1984


 

 
 
 
An old 3-minute video, Karate Kid 1, here.


 
Just because ...
 
Japanese Red Crane

 

 
 







 
Smiles for Thursday ...
 
 





 

 


 

 
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

7 comments:

john said...

Love the card. Thanks for sharing the different artist style Christmas trees, too. :-)

Bea said...

The card is great! good story too. Merry Xmas!

jacki long said...

Thank you, John! Merry Christmas!!

jacki long said...

Thanks Bea, I love hearing from you. Merry Christmas!!!

elenor said...

Love your card, Jacki!
Of course I had to watch the video and enjoyed seeing you. What a kind idea of your former student to send you the box with all the movies so you could finally see yourself acting. These are great such memories. I'm sure you enjoyed watching all movies.
Lockdown finally ends today. What a relief.

jacki long said...

Oh great, I am so happy for you to be lockdown free! Great!
I didn't watch the movies, my student did and just sent me the link, which is much better I think. Have a great weekend!

Lydia said...

Merry Christmas Jacki!