Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Day 3112: All in a day ...

 

 

 

"Ginger": ink brush, china marker ,watercolors, and collage.

 

 



Want music?




Click here for  Charlie Puth, Selena Gomez, We Don't Talk Anymore.
then click back on this blog tab here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

Another Dad story?


 My parents were divorced just before I turned six.

As mentioned earlier, I was in boarding school at age eight.
Every weekend either my Mom or Dad would pick me up for 
the weekend, but I remember so many girls were not that lucky.
One cold weekend, (age 8) I was at my Dad's.
He was in the bathroom shaving and I was reading a book 
on the table, standing too close to a portable floor heater ...





when you stand close it feels so good, then it gets too hot?
The edge of my dress caught on fire. I yelled for my Dad. 
He looked in and yelled "don't move, don't move, Jack."
I did as he said, and in my memory he flew to me. 
And, with his hands, he patted out the fire.
So clear in my memory, I could still describe the dress. 
I still remember the smell and the smoke after.
He explained later that if I had run, the fire would got to me.
I changed my dress and we went for breakfast.
All in a day for a Dad hero.

 

 

 
 


•  A beautiful 4-minute video, Yo-Yo Ma , here.
•  A  hilarious 1-3/4 minute video, copy , here.
•  A fun 1+minute video, Masaka kids , here.


  
Just because ...
 
Banded Broadbill

 
 

  
                         

Smiles for Wednesday ...
 
 
 

 

 
 

 
 

 
 
 

 

 
 

 
 

 
 
 

 
 

 
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 


8 comments:

john said...

Your dad was definitely a hero. What quick thinking on his part! I love how you do noses. Ginger has such personality. :-)

Betty Cotton said...

Jackie - Love Ginger!

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. Noses are hard, I try to just suggest where they are?

jacki long said...

Thanks, Betty, she sorta dictated her look, I just watched as she appeared?

elenor said...

Such precious memories of your dad. He really was a hero who loved you deeply.
Ginger's hair is fantastic. Such a pretty young lady.
Your smiles for Wednesday are nice again, especially the last one about aging gratefully instead of aging only gracefully.
Thanks for letting me connect with Carol. I'm always grateful to know there are people on the other side of the ocean or even anywhere on our planet who are sharing so many experiences with me and feel the same. We are in the same boat and care about one another. What could there be any better?
Thanks Jacki, for another lovely blog.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. I am so glad that you and AZ Carol, connected. The internet has made distant friendships possible and meaningful. I have many friends that I haven't met in person but feel very close to. You are one, dear Elenor.

Carol said...

I love that you shared this memory of your dad! Everyone was right, he was a true hero! John said it perfectly! I felt sad when you mentioned earlier that you went to boarding school. I cannot imagine not being raised by your parents but am thankful for you that you got to see them on weekends. I hope there were good, kind and caring people raising you. I too had a Volkswagen Bug when I was in college from Fall of '75 until '78 when I bought a used Saab. I also had a convertible 2006 Bug my x-husband bought me new for putting up with him for almost 25 yrs., at that time. I gave it away last Feb. to a mom that didn't have a car. How fun that all three of us AND your dad had Bugs! Thank you for having this blog so I was able to connect with you and Elenor. I too feel like I know you gals yet we have never met.
Great smiles (truly hilarious), videos and Ginger is darling! She looks like summer and exudes personality! I really like the colors you used!

Carol said...

Sorry I always write so much. I will try to start making my comments as brief as possible. AZ Carol