Monday, February 8, 2021

Day 3110: So, how was your day?

 

 

 

"Lillian": old photo, collage and digital.

 

 



Want music?




Click here for Charlie Puth, One Call Away.
then click back on this blog tab here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

 Update:

 

So, how was your day? I started mine with my first vaccine shot. 

So easy, I went early, and they took me early. I watched as she gave me the Moderna shot, no pain, no after-effects, easy-peasy.  It took 35 minutes from parking my car to leaving in my car. Most of the people were elderly, then I remembered my age and I fit right in.


2GN2S


Next, I had a zoom art class at noon. Taught by Katie O'Connell and aided by her sister Ellie, a Girl Scout Gold Award Project.

Today's class featured the famous Japanes artwork, The Great Wave Off The Coast of Kanagawa  by Hokusai


About 40 attendees did their version of the art, while Ellie demonstrated her version.  I did mine on a postcard. I also drew Ellie as she worked. The initial cards were in ink (soluble I found out) and I added watercolor later. I'm sending them to Katie & Ellie.

 
 
 




Katie O'Connell, now a Junior at Poway High School, has been a Poway girl scout since kindergarten. She is currently working on her Girl Scout Gold Award, the highest honor earned in Girl Scouts. Katie's project, called The Art of Happiness, teaches local teens how art can positively affect teen mental health during difficult times such as the pandemic. There is a tremendous need for this right now for middle and high schoolers. Katie hosts free classes explaining the science behind how creating art positively affects teen mental health. Guest speakers give expert advice on the topic, including a psychologist, a university art professor and a professional photographer.  A simple art project is demonstrated at each session, and teens have the opportunity to discuss art and the pandemic together. Besides being actively involved in Girl Scouts, Katie is a PHS Peer Counselor. She plays violin/viola for PHS orchestra and SDYS, volunteers as an NHS tutor, and is President of the PHS Academic Team. With a passion for science and biology, Katie also volunteers as an intern at the UCSD Boz Life Science Research Institute.

Wow!

 

 
Book news
 

 
The rest of today has been spent reading. To be fair, I did have the Super Bowl on, but the volume turned down, so I could read. I didn't think I was going to like this book, it's a mystery.
 
 

 
But, as is often the case, I was wrong.  With each chapter there was a new twist that kept me turning the pages. 
 


I am almost 3/4 through, and I only stopped to do this silly blog.
It's going to be a late night.
 
 
 
  
 
Just because ...
 
 
black faced spoonbill



  
                         

Smiles for Monday ...
 
 

 
 
 


 


 



 

 
 

 
 


 


 

 
 
                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

7 comments:

elenor said...

That's really good news. You already got your shot, congratulations. It will make life a lot easier for you, I hope.
I LOVE your version of the Great Wave and also the portrait of Ellie which turned out excellent.
I may repeat myself: I loved today's blog - again. As always, dear Jacki.

john said...

Your piece is so painterly. I love it! Glad you got the vaccine. Still waiting here. :-0

jacki long said...

Dear Elenor, thank you again for liking the blog and commenting.I guess you never know what to expect? But that's like life? Please take good care.

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. I do like Mo, and she happened kind of easily.
Hope you can get your vaccine soon, I'm older so ...

Anonymous said...

KT & LE are THRILLED and honored that you joined their art class. I hope you had fun. They love your version of the wave too. Love you Jacki!!

jacki long said...

Dear Lisa, thanks so much for your kind comments, it was totally my pleasure to attend. Both of your girls are a joy to be around. They are poised and kind beyond their years, a tribute to you and them. The cards were mailed yesterday.

Gaton Moke said...

Thanks great bllog post