Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Day 3105: Ready for some good news.

 

 

 

"A study of Frida": old photo, Photoshop and digital.

 




Want music?




Click here for Michael Jackson, Butterflies.
then click back on this blog tab, here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

 A repost from Day #2017, February 2, 2018.

Like most artists I know, I love Frida.
I studied her in school, read the books, saw the movie and 
a few years ago Val & I went to her great show at the Bowers, here.

  I came across an old photo ...



Everything about this photo, to me, is perfection.
So if that's true, why mess with it? 
A valid question.
Because I can, without harming the beautiful original. 
And, because I get to play and learn at the same time.



 


I flipped, cropped, posterized, de-saturated, drew, 
colored in layers, having fun all the way ...



Photoshop people often ask about layers ... above is 3.




Playing and experimenting ... above is 5 layers.




I stopped at 8 layers.
The hard part is knowing when to stop.
Easy, I have laundry to do!


 

 

 
 


•  An amazing 5-minute video,  grass portraits, here.
•  A  fascinating 3-minute video, nest builder, here.
•  A beautiful 4-1/2 minute video,  koi fish, here.

 

Update:


"On Saturday, January 23, 2021 I asked if you could help me? I asked that you might pray to whomever you pray, for the hardest working man I have ever known. He has spent over a year with cancer and came home clear, only to catch Covid and be in the hospital fighting for his life. That day was an especially hard day. I believe in prayer and the goodwill of people like you. He is Mark Martinez, a husband, father, grandfather, black belt, retired from Costa Mesa School District, and a good, good man. We need good men like Mark."

Now, I am happy to say Mark is improving, and the army of you 100+ kind souls who responded, has surely contributed to the miracle we are seeing happen now. Please continue to pray and send positive healing energy to Mark, his medical team, and his beautiful family. Thank you for your kind help.



  
Just because ...
 
Roseate Spoonbill

 

  
                         

Smiles for Wednesday ...
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 
 


 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

8 comments:

tgarrett said...

I always love your work I love Frida as well I do know that she has been so commercialized. There is a large show coming here this month.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GyjiJgsosw

J Todd said...

Yay, a digital step-by-step! Love what you did with beloved Frida. And so good to know that laundry is useful for something -- to tell you when an artwork is done! LOL

john said...

I am glad your friend is doing better. I love Frida, too. Thanks for the steps. I always learn something from your work. :-)

elenor said...

That's good news to hear Mark is improving. Sending him all the positive healing energy I can and wishing him and his family all the best. They are having a hard time.
It's amazing what you can achieve with Photoshop. You are s real master in using it.
Sending you kind greetings, dear Jacki!

jacki long said...

Dear Terry, Thank you so much for your kind comment, I love hearing from you. I was happy with this take on Frida. You will love the show, I enjoyed looking at the details. Please take good care of you two!

jacki long said...

Thanks, Judy. I so appreciate your comments, they make my day! Yes, if it wasn't for laundry, I would probably over-do to oblivion?

jacki long said...

Thank you, John, you are so kind to comment and inspire me. Yes, people seem to like the step-=by-steps, but it is hard to stop mid-process to photograph? Sometimes I get it done.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor, Yes, I think we may have a real miracle happening with Mark. So many were so kind to help.
Thank you for the Photoshop compliments. I have been working with PS for over 20 years and am fairly comfortable in my little area. I feel I know about 10% of what PS is capable of. Thanks again, Elenor.