Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Day 2875: Switch, Freeze, Go!





"Patchwork Blue": junk mail collage.





Want music?

 




Click here for Bob Marley, Everything's Gonna Be Alright.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?




 Switch, Freeze, Go!

Eight years ago when I was still teaching Karate, 
and for 32 years prior, I had a game, named as above. 
The game was part of warmups and involved circling 
the class space with running, at their own pace. 
When switch was called, they turned quickly 
to go the opposite direction. When freeze was called, 
they had to stop immediately, with not even an extra step.  
Go is self-explanatory, except it could be called while 
they were already running. 
They would sit down in the center if they had a mistake
 or even if they were tired, knowing it would cost them 
a quick 10 push-ups counted by the 5 winners. 
Even push-ups were to make them stronger. 
They came to love this game, and I told them I was 
glad they had fun, but really it was for me. 
I remember saying to them 
"I can't teach you until you can really listen."

Now, it is my turn to listen. Uncomfortable, as I always 
knew I was fair, didn't see color as a judgment. 
I even spoke up a few times when I saw discrimination.
But I had never considered my white privilege,
 and now I will, and I am learning.
 







• A 30-second funny video, worth your time, here.
• A 5 min amazing video on blue orchard bees, here
• A 1-min video, Golden Gate Bridge, here
with links to more information in an article, here.





Smiles for Wednesday ...

























8 comments:

john said...

The movement in your piece is almost like a pinwheel. It is all revolving around an axis. Good show! :-)

Branmuffin said...

Good memories of Switch Freeze Go.

Also really like that Luke 15 reference.

Carrol Wolf said...

Jacki,

Loved all your videos. And I can check the "learn something new" box. Also loved the jokes, except my guess is whoever wrote the "Master Thyself" goodie, has never been married. :)

authenticadultwoman said...

JACKI JACKI JACKI - you have hit the nail on the head exactly with your fresh awareness of prejudice and bias - which we often haven't noticed in ourselves - and needs to be dug up and consciously addressed. It's been my destiny and privilege to know and like and dislike lots of Black people - so I thought color didn't affect me - yet it does sometimes, in small ways. I want to end up with compassion and awareness even while I acknowledge differences.

jacki long said...

Thanks, John I thought you would like the "c". It's hot here today, how are you?

jacki long said...

Thanks, Brandon, good memories and yes, I like the Luke 15 reference, it's one of the best analogy I have seen. I hope you are all well and safe.

jacki long said...

Good Morning Carrol, thank you, I always enjoy your feedback. Yes, probably not of the master joke, good point. ;o0

jacki long said...

Thanks so much, Dorothy, you know I love getting your references and viewpoints and feel truly lucky when I hear from you. Yes, it was uncomfortable to realize that I wasn't as good as I hoped I was, but I will work on it. I fear for the many who will not listen. Take good care, Doroth, I love you.