Friday, July 9, 2021

Day 3244: Pillow Fight?

 

 

"Geisha 18": old print, junk mail collage.

 

 



Want music?




Click here Japanese hip-hop. 
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 2GN2S

Posters - Japan’s National Pillow Fight Contest

Maybe you haven’t had a good pillow fight in a long time but these posters, created as key visuals for Japan’s National Pillow Fight Contest, are making me want to invite some friends over for a sleepover and start swinging. 

 
They feature Olympic gymnast Airi Hatakeyama in a series of poses the represent the pillars of pillow fighting: throw, dodge and defend.


Japanese pillow fighting differs from that of the west in that pillows are thrown, instead of swung. In fact, the Japanese word for pillow fight is makuranage, which literally means pillow throwing. And historically they’ve been fought during overnight school field trips, which is why the standard uniforms are yukata robes that are worn at ryokan.


 
The fonts used in each of the kanji are also quite beautiful in that they communicate movement and action by emphasizing the stroke order.

 


You can get a sense for how the battle plays out in the video below, which was produced in tandem with the posters in 2019.   

 

 

 
 

 
•  A fun 1-1/2 minute video, "pillow-fight", here.


 
 
Just because ...
 
 
yellow-breasted Greenfinch
 


  
                     

Smiles for Friday ...
 
 
 


 





 



 



                                                               Thanks for coming by today.



6 comments:

john said...

When you do something Asian you know I will love it and I do. :-)

Branmuffin said...

The 5 Ds: Dodge, duck, dip, dive and...dodge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT47KfDlwI8

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. I do know that and it is my pleasure to do it.

jacki long said...

Thanks Brandon, I so appreciate your call yesterday, you brightened my day. I'll remember your 5-D's for my next life when I try dodge-ball. Can't you imagine Dodge-ball in yukata?I'd be more worried about a wardrobe disfunction that getting hit, almost.

Branmuffin said...

I watched almost all of day 5's matches, and then I also watched separate YT videos on Wakanohana (vs Akebono) and Chiyonofuji. Chiyonofuji was my favorite.

elenor said...

Excellent collage again. In fact, I like all your collage but don't mention it each time - what I should do.
I watched the video which really is fun. Never thought you could make a contest with pillows.
Last but not least, your smiles for Friday were lovely.
Have a fine weekend, dear Jacki.