Monday, April 29, 2019

Day 2468: Tha amazing Borobudur!







beauties 8: old photo, collage & digital.












Want music?

 




Click here for Justin Timberlake, Love Never Felt So Good.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?









As I mentioned in Day 55 post, 2,413 days ago ...
on the 1990 trip with my Dad, we visited Yogyakarta.

The morning of our flight I asked what we would see there? 

They said, Oh, you're going to the Borobudur!" 

I had never heard of this amazing destination.
This famous Buddhist temple, dating from the 8th and 
9th centuries, is located in central Java. 
It was built in three tiers: a pyramidal base with five 
concentric square terraces, the trunk of a cone with three 
circular platforms and, at the top, a monumental stupa. 
The walls and balustrades are decorated with fine 
low reliefs, covering the total surface area. 
Around the circular platforms are 72 openwork stupas, 
each containing a statue of the Buddha. 
The monument was restored with UNESCO's help in the 1970s.





The Borobudur Temple in Java sank and was covered 
with volcanic eruptions for over a thousand years.  

This really is what it looked like as we approached.




My Dad chose to stay on the bus with A/C.

The temple is huge, ten levels, with very steep stairways. 







Steps were 12" high and 8" deep, so my big foot had to be angled.





Our guide said making it to the top ensured going to heaven.





I was determined.





Each pupa held a buddha, each with different 

hand positions depending on the direction faced.





Two hours later, I was in heaven.
It remains the most impressive place I have ever visited, 
both in size and historic significance. 





Thanks Dad for the opportunity to visit the Borobudur.












I love this strange shot. Do you?












A smile for Monday ...









No comments: