Saturday, March 26, 2022

Day 3506: War-torn.

 

 

"War-torn"; junk mail collage & ink.

 

 



Want music?





Click here: Redbone, Come and Get Your Love.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

Update/ Maybe TMI? 

I have followed artist, Jane Davies for many years. I do not know her personally, but I did almost take a five day class with her in New Mexico a few years ago. I didn't begrudge the class tuition, as it had been on my bucket list to learn from her. But, the collateral damage came by way of really expensive room rates at the class location. Good friend and stellar artist, Irene Rafael and I did fly to New Mexico but stayed in a charming motel and roamed beautiful Santa Fe on our own, visiting galleries, museums, great restaurants and more. So we were in the Jane Davies vicinity, but we were just priced out of the accommodations. If you want to relive the beginning of our trip is here. Boy, do I digress!


This morning I was reading Jane's blog, here, and she got me thinking about my art and the way I go about it. First of all, My Mom tried.  She really did. I remember listening to her, but I just couldn't follow through. She advised that I concentrate on one activity, so I might excel. But, there was always more than one thing that had my interest. If you follow this blog, you probably know that by now? I juggle several interests & sometimes miss, but I am never bored.

 
 

Jane mentioned her previous occupations, and I thought, me too! As an adult I have been a teacher, college instructor, a potter, an ad agency designer, a karate instructor, an art instructor and there was a myriad of odd jobs getting me to adult. But, I am rambling.


from a Jane Davies tutorial

Jane asked about focus and about being consistent. I have had people say they can tell my work, but I do jump around. Junk mail collage being my favorite, but digital work is also up there. I did a daily journal for years and years and have over 100 journals from that time. I started my silly blog when I retired in 2012, and though I didn't know it at the time, it has turned into a daily digital journal. A s you might note, today is 3506 days of stuff! So in that way, I am consistent? Each daily blog starts out with my art work, so that is a daily project.

I loved her quote, "The friggin world has fallen apart, and this feels like making something meaningful or just pretty, out of the shards." I think many of us feel disjointed with the world in such a mess, and feeling inadequate to fix it. I have been doing Ukraine-based work for over a month. I start out and then in seeps into my work. I am hoping to do some happier work soon.

 

 

 
 
 
A  fascinating 3 -minute video, vibrationshere.


 
Just because ...
 
Vermillion Flycatcher.jpg

  
 
 


Smiles for Saturday ...
 





 
 

 
 


 
  
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

 

4 comments:

john said...

You never have to worry about the type of art that you do because everything you do is exciting to see. I think the reason we try new things is so that we can grow. If we stop learning that is too boring at least for me. So I say keep on your course because it is enjoyable to the viewer.

I know that the subject matter that you are doing is heavy and that you would rather there was no war and you could be doing other things. However, I am glad that you are so supportive of the Ukrainians and that you still come up with new pieces of art under the umbrella of the theme of support for them during this difficult time.

This latest piece is gorgeous. I love the torn petals. :-)

jacki long said...

Thank yoy, John, your kind qords mean the world to me. I'll keep on keepin' on! Happy weekend.

elenor said...

Learning new things and following different interests keep us young. Never stop going on as long we can. The world isn't one-dimensional and our lives also shouldn't be.
Happy Sunday!

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenoe! Happy Sunday to you too!