Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Day 3312: Transportation.

 

 

 

"Nellie 1":acrylic, marker & collage.


Couldn't decide which one? What do you think?

 

"Nellie 2":acrylic, marker & collage.


 

 



Want music?




Click here for Rose Royce, Car Wash.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

2GN2S

 

I got a wonderful e-mail today from my Washington friend, artist, blogger and philosopher, Dorothy Anderson. She posted a link to a 2016 post about cars in her life, with the most delightful photos. You know I love old photos. I asked if I could include them in today's blog, she said yes!

Dorothy's fascination with old cars ...
 
1934 Chrysler taken in 1950.
 
Roadster, taken in 1965.

Dorothy in "Chuck the truck" 2016.

So, all of this had me thinking about the cars that we have had in our life. My Aunt Martha had a sensible car. I was crazy about sports cars. I had mentioned that one day and she said, that for her,
a car is just for transportation. I heard but evidently didn't listen. My Uncle Owen, a very smart man, traded in his serviceable new car at the beginning of each year, as the best way to get the most value out of a car. I had good examples.

 First car was bought for $500 from my Dad, a yellow '55VW bug, my senior year in college.

1955 Volkswagon bug, 

1965 Karman Ghia, 

1967 blue Datsun truck, 

1968 red Porsche (ticket bait)

about here the years get a little fuzzy ...

an ugly Ford van with graphics on the side 


an orange VW squareback
a Saab
a Porsche  911
a VW bus 
 
a blue Nissan 300 ZX
 a grey Honda Accord
a darker grey Honda Accord
a spruce green Lexus SC
a Mercedes Benz SLR

and finally I got smarter and got and still have a car in my price range, a squirrel powered 2010 Honda insight, that gets 58 MPG, low maintenance and perfect. I am a slow learner and bloomer.
 
 

 

 
 
 
A funny 4-minute video, Honey Badger, here.


 
 
Just because ...
 
Whimbrel

 

  
                     

Smiles for Wednesday ...
 
 
 


 


 



 


 

 




                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

6 comments:

Carrol Wolf said...

My first car was a Ford Model A that I saw by the side of a barn on Beach Blvd near Knotts Berry Farm. We (okay my parents)bought it for $100.00. It was mostly red and a cabriolet. My dad and brother started fixing it up after I went off to college and that is what started them in the antique auto fastener hobby business that they had for many years. My brother finally sold it when he sold the business about 5 years ago. But he still has a 34 Ford with a suicide door totally restored and loves to go to the various local car shows early mornings on the weekends.

My favorite car ever, was my Lexus SC430 with the hard top that went down, but grandchildren trumped the car and now I have an SUV (Lexus, of course, because of the safety features and the great service when one needs it.)

jacki long said...

Thanks Carrol, it is fun to remember, right? I had that same Lexus in Seattle Spruce" and it was mt favorite car ever. Had it about seven years.

elenor said...

Our first car was a used orange VW bug. We sold it with almost the same price with bought it 5 years before. It was followed by two other VWs, but not bugs we got for little money from our families. Only our new car, the 7th in our life was bought as a new car. So most of our life we had old cars. I think you already can guess that for me a car is just for transportation. But I'm glad that we owe one.
I don't know why but my choice is Nellie 2. She is such a pretty girl.

john said...

I think Nellie 2. My thinking is because I like it when my eye has to finish a piece of art. So the head in 1 is more centered. In 2 it seems a bit of off balance which I like so much. The red is fantastic, too.

jacki long said...

Thank you Elenor. I think it's fascinating to think back about the cars in our lives, and especially how special that first one was. Thanks again.

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. I agree I like # 2 best now that I have had some space away. I especially like the negative shape on the right.