Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Day 4167: Barcodes and Journals.

 

   

"Upset": junk collage, ink.




  

Want music?

 

    

Click here:  Charlie Puth, How Long



 

 
2GN2S
 
Barcodes, then and now.


Did you know the first barcode wasn't a bar at all, but was shaped like a bull's eye? The earliest patent for what is now a ubiquitous technology, filed in 1949, used concentric circles instead of lines. And the first big adopter of barcode technology? The railroad industry! In the late 1960s, railways started using  Kartrak barcodes, which were developed to automatically identify rail cars as they moved past scanners. Even those looked different than barcodes today because they used lines of varying colors that kind of resembled modern art. There are so many other fun facts in this great article about the history of the barcode. Who knew they were so fascinating? I guess there is a history behind everything?






 

 Journals

I have 172 hand written or drawn journals of different sizes and contents. I used to journal everyday, thus so many journals. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I retired from teaching, I started a blog. Not knowing much about blogging at the time. There were many really good bloggers, and I gradually learned. I think blogging became less popular to some, many of the blog-pros moved on to other artistic venues, I still blog.

One of my better skills is that I do "hang in there". When I started Karate fifty one years ago, they said I would last two weeks. So having committed to this silly log over 11 years ago, and 4,167 days now, this blog has become my daily journal. Never knowing what each day will bring other than the format that has developed over the years.
 
Last week I heard someone say, "there's so many things I might have tried, but I was afraid to fail". I think many of us can relate? But, I also read a famous athlete say, "every time I lost, I learned something. Not so with winning."
 
 
 
 
 

  
 
30 second video, Kiwi run, here.
 
 
  
Just because ...
  

Northern Carmoine Bee-eater

 



Wednesday's Smiles ...  



 

 

  
 
 



    



     







 


4 comments:

elenor said...

Jacki, I'm totally in awe of you, 172 hand written journals and 4167 blog posts. Who else can do this? Each blog really is a piece of art. Thank you for creating each and every day. I'm looking forward to all blogs to come.

jacki long said...

Oh, ELENOR, I don't think you probably realize how great you are and how much you encourage this silly blog. I so appreciate your kindnss in commenting. ;o)

john said...

I like how you incorporated architecture in this piece. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks John, architecture is one of my loves.