Monday, January 1, 2024

Day 4144: Wages and Happy New Year!

 

   

"Separation": junk mail collage.






  

Want music?

 

 

    Click here:Michael McDonald, I Keep Forgettin'


 

 
2GN2S


Happy New Year! It's the first day of 2024 and a federal holiday, which means all the usual suspects will be closed — including non-essential government offices, financial markets, most banks and post offices. Plenty of restaurants and retailers will be open though, and for minimum-wage workers in 22 states and in at least 40 cities and counties across the country, January 1 is the day they get a pay raise. Seven states and the District of Columbia will now have minimum hourly wages of at least $15, up from just four states plus DC in 2023. The highest state minimum wage in 2024 will be Washington state, at $16.28, up from $15.74. A close second is California, which is raising its minimum to $16 from $15.50. However, 20 states are still clinging to the federal minimum wage of $7.25, which hasn’t gone up since 2009. 





Happy New Year!!  I hope 2024 will be even better than you hope it will be! Wishing you, your family and friends a happy, healthy, safe, wonderful new year in 2024!













 
 
 
 

  
 
A 3 minute video, Frog-mouth Bird, here.
 
 
  
Just because ...
  
  
Frog-mouth and chick


 


Sunday's Smiles ...  



 
  



  
   

 
 
 
  


   




   






 


8 comments:

tgarrett said...

I love you dear Jacki one of the highlights of this past year was getting to spend time with you and Irene and John and Brian- what a time we had! Happy new year!

elenor said...

Never forget: Expect nothing, appreciate everything.
There a more important reminders in today's blog I really love. What a good start into the New Year, Jacki.

jacki long said...

Thank you dear Terry! and Ron!! I really enjoyed your interview it was like visiting with you in your studio. I lovee you and thanks again for my calendar!

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenor, Happiest, healthiest, fun new year in 2024.

Carrol Wolf said...

Hi Jacki,

Happy and healthy new year. (Although sometimes I feel like the bird you posted, and sometimes I feel like the second bird in this blog! LOL!

I guess if a person gets to our age, and isn't fairly comfortable with who they are, there may not be any hope.

Your daily, or nearly so, when the electronic devils don't work their magic, always inspire, cause belly laughs and open me to the amazing joy of seeing what other artists can do.

Just want you to know how special your daily creativity is to the lot of us who have been gifted by it for several years now.

You totally rock.

Irene said...

Happy 2024. Another brand new year to expect nothing and appreciate everything. Ditto what Terry wrote about being together at the retreat. I am still drawing on the wonderful memories. I am grateful for your friendship, for sharing your wisdom and wonderful family stories. xo

john said...

I use to not like yellow all that much. Daffodils, tulips, and forsythia were the acceptable yellows. I am looking at it differently now. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. Yes, I too am not fond of yellow but it does do amazing things to other colors. Pink, however is off the table. I growing to love greens a lot?