Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Day 3566: Ruin

 

 

"Ruin": junk mail collage, acrylics, digital.




Want music?




Click here: 
"IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole, Somewhere Over the Rainbow
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 

      

Update ...

A comical true story.
 
 
Eons ago at Marshall High School in LA, I took a class in home economics. I can't remember if it was required or elective? A big part of the class was sewing. I put a zip in a dress, but through the front and back! Not on purpose, of course but surely a hurried job, and I can still remember the teacher shaking her head as she told me to pull it out and start over. And there was the  simple black dress, but I unknowingly used the top side of the fabric on one side., and the inside of the fabric for the other side. There was no way to pull this out and start over, and yes I wore that dress! So, you get the idea, I and not sewing inclined. I think that teacher said so.
  

But, I love cards that have sewing ... like this one, which is my last and I am too selfish to send it. And so I bought a $24.99  tiny sewing machine, lightweight, only 1.6 pounds, dimensions: 7.0 x 3.2 x 7.5 inches, which I thought was commensurate with my limited ability.
 

           So last Sunday evening I decided to give it a try. I've had it sitting on a shelf, looking at me, for over a month.

 

It had all the working parts, plug-in, a foot pedal etc. The direction tag above was also tiny, 2,25 X 2.75 inches which meant the text was microscopic? Then if all this is tiny, imagine the needle that needs to be threaded! They include a ...


needle threader, but I wear contact lenses (and a different prescription in each eye) so I had trouble focusing. I took out the lenses and put on glasses for a slight improvement. But, then I didn't have enough light to see well. So after hunting for additional lighting, I told Siri to turn on the flashlight on my phone. Now I had light but needed to prop it up. Finally, the tiny machine was threaded. I already had a two collage cards (below) ready to stitch two small, old photo. The tension was too tight or something (?) because the thread broke and I had to start over.   I was determined to get the 2 cards done and finally, after way too much time  ...

 

This photo was of the steamship to Catalina, 1935

 

 Aunt Vonda & friends on a trip to Washington D.C., 1936


 The quality of the sewing is as you would expect, but it goes along with my style of junk mail collage I think? Who knows when I will be brave enough to try again? My friend and fellow Eastside fiber artist, Libby Williamson said she might help me, but she is a busy lady.


 
 
A weird 3-minute video, cell phoneshere.


 
Just because ...
 
Blue Jay

 
 


Smiles for Wednesday ...
 
 



 




 



   
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 


4 comments:

elenor said...

Ruin is perfect, Jacki!
I loved your story about your sewing experience and had to smile. I also bought a mini sewing machine a couple of years ago. Now I already asked myself if it was the right time to give it to my grandchildren. Each time they are visiting me we sew and explore my "real" sewing machine. That always is lots of fun. A few weeks ago nine year old little A. had started to make dolls out of old T-shirts. It was her idea and she made it all by herself. She was delighted to get a box with small pieces of left over fabrics from things I had made for them. So it might be the right time?
BTW, your sewing on the collage is perfect!
Jacki, thanks for answering my yesterday's question about storing all of your photos. I think I'm doing it nearly the same way - with the same problems.

john said...

I was just thinking that each of your art pieces supporting the Ukrainian people should be published in a book. Let’s hope that if you did publish the works that the book would not be much longer than it is already. We want this suffering to end very soon.

Your sewing piece are amazingly fun! Don’t allow the sewing issues stop you. This work is fantastic! :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John! A couple of people have suggested publishing the Ukraine art, but that seems unlikely to me. Like you, I wish their suffering could end. Erin mentioned that titling the blog with the a name of the artwork might benegative when I try to keep the silly blog itself focused on the positives? What do you think?

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. Yes, I admire you who can sew. I will probably try again, sometime.