Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Day 3551: Struggle.

 

"Struggle": photo, junk mail collage & digital

 

 



Want music?




Click here: Sarah Vaughn, Misty.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 2GN2S ...

Yes, there is a real Trader Joe's!!

 


Turns out Trader Joe was a real guy, and his shrewd instincts led him to create a counter-culture grocery empire.

Joe Coulombe, a struggling convenience store owner in Los Angeles, decided in 1967 to open a grocery chain to appeal to the small but growing number of well-educated, well-traveled consumers that mainstream supermarkets were ignoring. 

 The first Trader Joe’s opened in Pasadena, California, in 1967. The location was ideal for his new target customer, surrounded by college campuses, a hospital and big engineering firms. The first Trader Joe’s store had a nautical theme with marine artifacts including a ship’s bell, fish netting and half of a rowboat. The check out counter was an island with a roof. Employees wore Polynesian shirts and Bermuda shorts. The manager was called captain and the assistant was first mate. And lilting Hawaiian music played over the loudspeakers. 

By 2020, Trader Joe’s had more than 530 stores and an estimated $16.5 billion in sales, according to the latest data available from Supermarket News. “My successors at Trader Joe’s have taken a 30-store chain nationwide with remarkable adherence to the basic concepts we started out with.” 

 


To get a parking space? And then a cart, but inside is such a great selection. In fact, it is in my to do list today,

 


 
Update ...

Today I was dressed to go to my karate day class, but I was ready a little early, so I went into the studio to check e-mail, and then I started today's Day #3551 blog, and now I am too late to make it to class. I sit here dressed and disappointed.!

I am always amazed by how easily I am distracted? I could blame the Mac Pro with it's infinite capabilities, but truth is I am just as distracted in the garage sorting papers to purge.

 

 

 
 
 
An adorable 1-minute video, I choose, here.


 
Just because ...
 
 
Reeve's Pheasant

 
 


Smiles for Tuesday ...
 
 
 




 

 

 
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

4 comments:

john said...

Each time I see the sunflower I see hope. For me right now the word hope and Ukrainian are the same.

jacki long said...

Yes, when you see the Ukranians bravery, there is hope.
Thanks, John.

elenor said...

I totally understand your disappointment about having missed your karate class. But on the other hand you could say you were working so concentrated that you forgot everything around you. Couldn't that be a good thing?

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenor. Yes I do have tunnel vision! ;o)