Thursday, May 12, 2022

Day 3553: War


 

"War": photo, inks, watercolor.



Want music?




Click here: Babyface, When Can I See You Again
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

2GN2S ...

Nonspeaking student with autism gives moving commencement speech

Rollins College valedictorian Elizabeth Bonker ’22,

A college valedictorian who has not spoken since the age of 15 months due to autism delivered a moving commencement speech, urging her fellow graduates to use their own voices.

"God gave you a voice. Use it," Elizabeth Bonker told the graduating class of Rollins College in her May 8 commencement speech. "And no, the irony of a non-speaking autistic encouraging you to use your voice is not lost on me. Because if you can see the worth in me, then you can see the worth in everyone you meet."

Bonker was unanimously chosen by her four fellow valedictorians to deliver the speech to the college's 529 graduating students. She used a text-to-speech computer program to deliver her speech, according to Rollins College, a private college in Winter Park, Florida.

"Personally, I have struggled my whole life with not being heard or accepted," Bonker said in her speech. "A story on the front page of our local newspaper reported how the principal at my high school told a staff member, 'The retard can't be valedictorian.'" She continued, "Yet today, here I stand. Each day, I choose to celebrate small victories, and today, I am celebrating a big victory with all of you."

You can read more: here

You can hear her moving speech: here.



 

Update ...

Today included a trip to my Kaiser Medical facility.


I am fascinated with the mirror-like finish of the building,
 

 the Washingtonian palms & the blue sky. 




 
Almost makes the trip to get a shot worthwhile.
 

 

Throwback  Thursday ...

WonderWoman's special day, 1995.

 

 


 
 
A fun 1+minute video, Chicken & Waffleshere.


 
Just because ...
 
Cerulean Warbler

 
 


Smiles for Thursday ...
 
 






 

 



 
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

6 comments:

john said...

Adding the pops of red make this piece striking. :-)

Carrol Wolf said...

Beautiful photo of you and Erin. And I love the story of the valedictorian. Thank you for always posting great stuff.

jacki long said...

Thank you , John! I thought you might say that?



jacki long said...

Thanks Carrol, somehow something usually turns up if I am lucky.

elenor said...

Your photos of this Kaiser Medical facility are fascinating. The palm trees and the blue sky are a symbol of summer, luck, holidays, ... for a good time. After a very fresh spring the last two days were very summerlike. Either it is cold or hot, but I prefer hot days.
Very interesting blog again, Jacki!

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor! I do like to take photos of the building & palms.