Sunday, May 22, 2022

Day 3563: Crisis.

 

"Crisis": collage, digital.

 


Want music?




Click here: Barry White, You're The First, The Last, My Everything.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

2GN2S ...

Only in America?


West Point Military Academy Honor’s Graduate, the Top Student in the Physics Department, Cadet Alex Idrachhe.
 
This recent West Point graduate is Alex Idrache. He grew up in a slum in Haiti, and he tells the story of how U.S. soldiers were deployed to his neighborhood following the earthquake there several years ago. He says their presence was the first experience of "hope" he recalls in his childhood.
 
He remembers looking at his dad and asking him who the people were that were helping. His dad looked at him and said, "They are American soldiers." He looked back at his father and said, "One day, I will be an American soldier." 
 
His father knew the situation in Haiti was unworkable and tried for several years to obtain a visa to come to the United States. After being denied for several years, he was finally granted a spot in Baltimore. He purchased a ticket on a boat for his family and left Haiti. They arrived and Alex, remembering his dream in the slum several years prior, looked for a way to join the U.S. Army. 
 
He found a national guard program that allowed him to join the Army in exchange for citizenship. He didn't hesitate.
After a series of fortunate occurrences, he was given one of the few spots at West Point for prior enlisted soldiers. Despite his severe lack of formal education, he graduated as an honor graduate (top 5% physically and academically) and the top student in the Physics Department. This picture was taken just prior to tossing his hat in the air, the realization of a dream that began 10 years ago in a slum in Port-au-Prince.


Update ...

Last day at the house on the hill
 
 
Another grey day, but a lighter grey. Superman and WonderWoman are coming home tonight ...

 I am putting off packing up, the dogs are watching me like a hawk.A pic for WW, when she asked how they were doing.
 

Earlier this afternoon I watched the...
 
 
I needed something for the blog, so I took you to the Preakness

 
... and a jockey view of the race?


The winner, Early Voting.


Zoey watched, and seemed fascinated with the horses, if a human was on screen she wasn't interested, but the pre-race  walks and the race, yes. I asked her if she liked horses?
and I got this look?
 
 



My last sunset from the house on the hill.



 
 
A beautiful 4+minute video, cactus bloomhere.


 
Just because ...
 
Peregrine Falcon


 


Smiles for Sunday ...
 
 

 



 

 

 
 
 
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 

 

6 comments:

john said...

Every day I come to your blog and I see that you have created something out of what most people toss in the rubbish bin. I love that you have the eye to create from what most people discard. :-)

elenor said...

Wonderful sunset. What will the first sunset look like you see in WW new home? I hope you'll take some pics to share with us.
Have a good week ahead, Jacki.

jacki long said...

I am so thankful and appreciative that you visit this silly blog, and I treasure your comment. I'm pretty sure the junk mail comes from my Mom saying not to waste anything?

Carrol Wolf said...

The story about the cadet at West Point was so touching. And the cacti reminded me of ballerinas dancing briefly across the stage. Thank you for posting these and, of course your art that never ceases to amaze.

jacki long said...

I will indeed when I visit them. They were talking about my flying there, just a 30 minute flight.

jacki long said...

Thank you Carrol, it always pleases me when you like a blog. I repeated a 2016 blog in tomorrow's blog because you said I could! ;o)