Thursday, December 24, 2020

Day 3072: Herstory.

 

 

"Herstory": graphite drawing, acrylic, collage and digital.

 

 



Want music?




Click here for  Paul Simon, You Can Call Me Al.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 


History/ Herstory


My parents moved to Hollywood when I was 6 months old, 
in search of the California dream. They had friends and 
relatives already here. Lured from the Indiana cold winters 
and snow to the land of fresh oranges, palm trees, and sunshine. 
I think a big percentage of our California population was lured 
by the Rose Parade, and by people watching on tv, 
with cold weather or snow outside?

At the corner of Riverside Drive and Los Feliz Boulevard 
in Los Feliz,  just across from the Los Angeles River, 
you’ll find a shrine to the “Father” of L.A.’s water system, 
William Mulholland – built approximately on the site 
where Mulholland once lived in a cabin, working as a 
water laborer (technically a ditch-tender) and 
taught himself to be a civil engineer. 
 
William Mulholland Memorial Fountain
William Mulholland Memorial Fountain |  photo by Sandi Hemmerlein
         As a little girl, I was always fascinated by a local landmark
the Jesus Fountain. They say I named it that when very young.
I didn't know it was the William Mulholland Memorial Fountain.

William Mulholland Memorial Fountain | photo by Sandi Hemmerlein
 
From as long as I can remember, if we were even getting near the fountain, I would perk up and watch as we passed until it was out of sight. It's still there and when I'm near it's in my cross-hairs.


 

 More.

Another angel?  This angel looks a wee bit weary? 

Maybe it's Covid? Or, is she in need of a real hug?

 

Jen : junkmail angel #5, collage



A quick step by step of #5, especially for Elenor ...


2
1
























4
3
























6
5
























Got time for and another angel?


Julie : junkmail angel #6, collage

And, a quick step by step of #6 ...



2
1
























4
3
























6
5


























 
 


•  An musical 3+minute video, Hawaiian, here.
•  A stunning 1+minute video, nature, here.
•  A fascinating 6-minute video, snow geese, here.
 
 
 
 

Throwback Thursday ...
 

Demura Sensei, 1981
 
 

 

Just because ...

 

Keel-billed Toucan


 
                        

Smiles for Thursday ...
 
 

 
 

 
 




















                                                               Thanks for visiting today.

 

 

 

9 comments:

Bea said...

One of my family’s outing was Griffith Park. The fountain is part of these memories. Best wishes for a happy time with your loving family...b

Carrol Wolf said...

I got several laughs out of the cartoons and just loved the colors and shapes in your art piece. The first angel looked like a sometimes feel. I think she is trying to carry too much of a load. (And probably needs a hug.) The second one is a perky little thing. Will watch your videos later, but today is pick up things from MC and Susie's cakes for my little(very little) outdoor Christmas celebrations. Have a wonderful day with your loving family. You and I are certainly blessed in this category.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Bea, it is wonderful to hear from you, and I love that we share those memories. Please take good care and have a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year in 2021.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Carrol, I did think that you might like the colors in today's art, as I borrowed your colors! I think I will be home today, getting things organized for tomorrow, I did get out for a bit yesterday. I had a pickup at ASW and was really impressed with their set-up to protect everyone.
Wishing you, Stan, and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year in 2021. Take good care.

john said...

Great piece....Herstory. I wonder if you use a fixative on your graphite drawings or just scan and then the digial....most likely. Inquiring minds wish to know. :-)

elenor said...

Merry Christmas, dear Jacki!

elenor said...

Thanks for the step by step, dear Jacki! Your angles are so sweet! I really love them.
We had a silent Christmas Eve, seeing our children via video. How blessed are we to have this fabulous technology. But tomorrow we are going to see them in person - I'm already excited.

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. I draw with the graphite, then spray with water. When I get what I like, I wait till it's dry, then spray with clear flat acrylic, so it can't run anymore. I do some of the acrylic brushstrokes before the spray.

jacki long said...

Thank you Elenor, I am excited for you all to be together, the best gift of all. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year for you and your beautiful family.