Friday, August 30, 2019

Day 2591: He drove a horse and buggy 7 miles to high school each day.





Uncle Skete, (Russell Shoemaker): old photo and digital.









Want music?

 




Click here for Lionel Richie, Easy.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?










"Uncle Skete, photo & digital


When I think of Uncle Skete, I smile. I really do.

His real name was Russel, but I called him Uncle Skete?

He was third born in a family of 10 children.
He began farming as a very young boy. 

His Dad gave him young horses to break and use as his own.

He drove a horse/buggy 7 miles to Lebanon High School each day.



not sure?, Uncle Owen, Uncle Jerry, Uncle Skete, Uncle Pete & Grandpa


5 years older than Aunt Fern, my Mom's eldest sister,

 he was out of high school before Aunt Fern started.

Uncle Skete, Aunt Fern, Aunt Pauline, Uncle Owen, Aunt Martha, Uncle Jerry & Grandpa

Uncle Skete and Aunt Fern were sweethearts 

for many years before marrying in 1925.
 
Wedding day, 1925




Aunt Fern finished her first year of teaching 

and they were married the next day.
She went on to be a Principal and poet.







They had a daughter, my cousin, Katha.
There were married over 50 years.

Personally, when I think of Uncle Skete, 

I hear his laugh & I picture him in his chair ...





after a long day working his farm.

Special memories of a wonderful man. 

Today is his birthday.



Happy Birthday Uncle Skete!







A smile for Friday ...








1 comment:

john said...

Very handsome gentleman. :-)