Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Day 4047: Art & Sales.

 

"Danger": junk mail collage


Want music?

    Click here: Maze, Happy Feelings

 


  2GN2S ... 

Art
 

"While at the Art Institute of Chicago, I saw something in a gallery I didn't expect and it blew my mind. On the floor, there was a pile of candy. Commercially available candy. In a pile. This was intended to be 175 pounds of candy, which it clearly wasn't. Apparently there had been a lot of visitors with a sweet tooth.

 


The size and shape of the pile changes as people take whatever pieces they want.  They replenish the candy several times a week according to the security guard I chatted up about it. 

 

But when I googled the artist I found something I could barely believe...

Felix Gonzalez-Torres has done many pieces of art like this, including the green candy one below, that   sold in 2015 for 7.7 million dollars.  Yes, 50 pounds of loose green wrapped candy for 7.7 million.

 


What's my takeaway from this? That not everyone will understand or "get" your art and that's okay.

 

More importantly, I am reminded that we each get to define what art is to us. So next time you have any doubt whatsoever that what you're making is art, just remember that somewhere in a museum there's a big pile of candy. Since that's art, then what you are creating is art too!"


Carolyn Dube, acolorfuljourney.com


Amazon is always telling me what is on sale, and how much I would save. 
But if I don't buy, I save 100%. 
It's taken a lot of years to figure that out. Just sayin'



 
 
A 4 minute video, Inspiring artisthere.


 
Just because ...

Ostrich


 

 

 
 


 

 
 
 

4 comments:

elenor said...

The last 2 smiles are just wonderful, Jacki.
Today I watched the curated video and I felt really touched. My husband's mother also suffered from ALS. She died 22 years ago. At that time there didn't exist such an opportunity to communicate via computer. How cruel it is when you can't tell anyone your feelings and fears I really understood only years later. What a blessing technology is now, I'm grateful for this.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor. I agree our technology has made many improvements for us, but I don't think that story is over?

john said...

You made me smile with the Pappa Red. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. Yes, I always think of you with a pop of red!