Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Day 4046: Jim Abbott & Tired Eyes.

 

"Despair": junk collage, ink

Want music?

    Click here: Hekutopasukaru. Fish in the Pool


2GN2S ... 


If you don't know about Jim Abbott, this is going to be a treat. On September 4th, 1993, Abbott, then a pitcher with the California Angels, threw a no-hitter against the then Cleveland Indians. A no-hitter is a sure way to hit the baseball history books, but Abbott added to the badassery of it all by doing it one-handed. Abbott was born without a right hand, with an arm ending at the wrist. Throughout his ten-year MLB career, he adjusted his pitching and playing style to accommodate his limbs. CNN's "World Sport" anchor Don Riddell wrote a wonderful yarn about Abbott's historic career and his cultural influence. After his remarkable no-hitter, Abbott says he was blown away by the recognition, and not just from cars cheerfully honking at him or people stopping him in the street. He said, wherever he went, kids with disabilities and their families regarded him as a special type of hero. “I wouldn’t be able to guess the numbers, they’re sort of staggering," he told CNN. "But I think of the kids a lot, and the look in their parents’ eyes.”
 


They say I look a little tired?

I earned it, I have watched so much of the US Open 

 matches that I now have tennis elbow! ;o)  And then, the Aki Sumo Basho (15 day tournament) started Sunday. Sumo matches are shown on NKH our times a day, and I usually watch more than once.

(The Rugby World Cup got underway in Paris on Friday, but I have to have some limits?)


 
 
A 4 minute video, Hermit crabshere.


 
Just because ...

   

Diederick Cuckoo


Tuesday's Smiles ...
 
   
 
 
 
 
 
 




 
 

7 comments:

Carrol Wolf said...

Hi Jacki,

Thank you for more interesting tid-bits. Also, I was amazed and entertained by the video on the crabs. We should all have such respect for Mother Nature and her cleverness that enables all of us to survive. Also way your artwork. Another great start to another great day.

Carrol Wolf said...

In my first comment, it should have said: "Also, always love your artwork." Don't know what happened to the extra letters. LOL!

elenor said...

Jacki, tell me what is the magic in this collage? I can't say what makes it so unique. Maybe the drawing you added to the collage pieces? For me it really is magic!

jacki long said...

Thank you Carrol, I am so happy to get your comment.You never know what you will get, right??

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. I am not sure, but it is only two pieces of collage and the two figures? So maybe it's the simplicity?

john said...

A hug is all that we need. Touch is so important, :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. Yes, I totally agree.