Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Day 3927: Barber and Anxious


   

"Details": junk mail collage.
                                         

 

Want music?

                                     

Click here: Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Didn't It Rain?

 click back on this blog here to listen while you browse, or not?

 

2GN2S ...


I was thinking today about some of my Dad stories. There are a lot of them, I'll call this one ... the reluctant barber.
 
At age 15, I returned from Australia to live with my Dad in his tiny house (here)and start high school at John Marshall. As mentioned earlier, Dad was thrifty, frugal, prudent & penny-pinching. All of those! And in fairness, he did grow up during the depression. He was a single man after the divorce when I was 5, so he didn't need much or have much. Early on, Dad decided I could save him some money. He bought a barber kit from Sears.

Dad & barber kit

I hated the idea, but that didn't matter, he announced that I was his new barber. I asked, what if I botch it up? He said: "you'll learn."What if I nick it and you have a bald spot? He said, "it will grow back."
I did both of those, but he never minded, since it was free. This went on for three years until I left for college. But that wasn't the end of it. Whenever we lived in the same proximity,the reluctant barber was put back on duty.
This was true to the very end.




 


 
A great 4+ minute video, Gorilla & babyhere.


 
Just because ...
  

Blue-eared Glosssy Starling



 


Smiles for Wednesday ...
 



 
 





                             Thanks for coming by today ...

 

 

 

6 comments:

john said...

Black, white, and red….what more could one ask for? :-)

Anonymous said...

All of it was so fantastic! Your story about your beloved father, the gorilla video… the memes… I saved so many!
Love you bunches, Paula ❤️

elenor said...

Wonderful collage, Jacki!
I too had a barber kit, can you imagine? I cut the hair of my sons and my hubby. The first time I did it was before our wedding - he would not have gone to the barber and I wanted him to look nice. And I still cut his hair ... You see your lovely dad stories bring back so many memories. Thanks, Jacki!

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. I thought you as I assembled this one.

jacki long said...

Thank you Paula! So much better than Anonymous. Now if I could get an initial (M or C) it would be perfect. Either way, I love you both. Thanks again.

jacki long said...

Yes, thanks Elenor. It does save money.I pay to get my hair cut, so maybe Dad is smarted??