Thursday, November 7, 2019

Day 2659: Another short story.




my kanji: brush work in sidekick, layers, digital.








Want music?

 




Click here for Stephen Bishop, On and On.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?









A short story:


I taught at Costa Mesa Dojo for over thirty years. 
During that time I had a very special jr. student.
Very polite, quiet, kind, good manners. 
I often used advanced belts to help lower belts.
I soon noticed that whoever Chris helped, got better.
He was so quiet, I never figured out his technique, 
but the results were beyond expectations.
I told classes, I don't know what he does,
but if Chris helps you, you will improve greatly.
He left karate when he started high school. 
but I would still say "I used to have a student, 
Chris Sakai, and whoever he helped got better - big time. 
So I'm hoping for another Chris." He was an inspiration for us all.

A little over two years ago, a new adult white belt 
started at Honbu Dojo day class, introduced as Chris. 
I asked his last name, and he said Sakai!
I said, "I know you!"
He said "Yes, you taught me about 30 years ago."





Fast forward: I was lucky to be in class today when Chris 
received his san-kyu, brown belt. We are often in the same class. 
I hope I will be there when he receives his black belt.







For FB Throwback Thursday ...


Demura Sensei, 1970








       76 degrees, Sunny, Santa Ana, CA.













A smile for Thursday ...




1 comment:

john said...

So Asian, I love the boldness. :-)