Wednesday, March 8, 2023

Day 3954: Palingos and NASA.


"Village of Khromove": acrylics on heavy paper.







Want music?




Click here:Judith Hill, What a Girl Wants
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 


2GN2S ...

Do you know a Pangolin?

  

You know, or may not know that I started this blog after I retired almost 12 years ago, posting every day almost. Over the years the blog has morphed into what you see today. It is still random, in that you never know what you will get? But the current version has helped me learn so many new things, and at 81 I think that is a good thing. Like today, I had never heard of a palingos?But seeing the name sent me down the rabbit hole of the internet searching and learning.


What’s scaly from tip to tail and can curl into a ball? Pangolins! These solitary, primarily nocturnal animals, are easily recognized by their full armor of scales. A startled pangolin will cover its head with its front legs, exposing its scales to any potential predator. If touched or grabbed it will roll up completely into a ball, while the sharp scales on the tail can be used to lash out.

How great, guardians of the forest, and how sad, they are the most trafficked mammal in the world. What would have taken a lot of time in encyclopedias (when was the last time you heard that word?) Now with a few well placed clicks you can get to the bottom of your question. And, since I've rambled on too long, I will just give you links in case you have the interest.

Great links for a Pangolin.

1.https://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/what-is-a-pangolin

2. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=pangolin+animal

3. great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JWIhD628Y

4. great video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEdwYuTvkX8


I think this is first funny, then amazing?

 
TUESDAY, MARCH 14, 2023 AT 11 AM PDT

Now I am not a NASA scientist, but I do know what day it is. I find it funny that such a mistake can happen, but Lord knows I make lots of mistakes.
Live from the South by Southwest conference in Austin, Texas, experts from NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA) will share a never-before-seen image from the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), talk about the telescope’s latest scientific discoveries, and share how JWST will continue to explore the uncharted territories of our cosmos.
NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope, a partnership with ESA and the Canadian Space Agency, released its first full-color images and spectroscopic data on July 12, 2022.
 
 
 
Several weeks ago I finished a really good book, Between Two Kingdoms, by Suleika Jaquad ...
 
 
I wanted a new book to start on. I had a stack of books, and in it, I found ...


I first thought, no. Then I wondered where it came from, surely I didn't buy it? But then, who would give a book with that title, to an 81 year old?  Then I thought, maybe it was recommended and I ordered from Amazon? So I decided to check it out. Thank goodness. It is written by ...
SUSAN MOON is a writer, editor, and Buddhist teacher in the Soto Zen tradition. Ever since she set out from her childhood home to get lost on purpose at the age of 10, she has been searching far and wide for the meaning of life and sharing what she learns with others. Her books include This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity; the groundbreaking collection, The Hidden Lamp: Stories from Twenty-Five Centuries of Awakened Women, with Florence Caplow; and What Is Zen? with Norman Fischer. Her most recent book, Alive Until You’re Dead: Notes on the Home Stretch, is a collection of essays about the surprising perks of mortality. Susan is a contributor to Lion’s Roar, Tricycle, and other publications. She lives in Berkeley, California, and practices at the Berkeley Zen Center and with the Everyday Zen Sangha. For many years she has taught and led Zen retreats in California, elsewhere in the U.S., and internationally. She also adores her grandchildren.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
I started, ready to put it aside if it got too weary. But it didn't.  She approaches the touchy subject with positivity, humor and knowledge. I have always agreed with most of the Zen philosophy and how it fits within the subject. Knowing that we don't know how many days we have ahead, we should be doing the things that are important to us.
She encourages us to OBSERVE our life and wants, then ADAPT to what we are able to do, then LET GO of the things we can no longer use or do, then ACCEPT where we are, then LOVE it all.


 
 
A  3-minute video, Kayak +here.

 
Just because ...
 
Three-wattled Bellbird

 


Smiles for Wednesday ...
 
  
 
 
 

 
 
This is real, I took the photo.

  

                             Thanks for coming by today ...

 



3 comments:

elenor said...

How wise is this? Observe, adapt, let go, accept and then love it.
Thanks Jacki for so much inspiration.

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenor, yes it was good to realize. Have a great weekend!

john said...

Your piece captures war so well. I also thought of outer space, the cosmos when I first saw it and before I read the title. :-)