Sunday, August 21, 2022

Day 3654: Family and clutter..

 

"Numbers": acrylics and collage on canvas.

 


Want music?




Click here: Hall and Oates, Sara Smile.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

2GN2S ... 

99-year-old Pennsylvania woman meets her 100th great-grandchild


Peggy Koller initially applied to be a nun when she was a junior in high school. But she got married and welcomed 11 children. Peggy's husband William died in 2008 leaving his wife behind but definitely not alone.

A Pennsylvania woman is celebrating the birth of her 100th great-grandchild. Peggy Koller, 99, of Blue Bell, got to hold the baby, who's not only special because he's number 100, but because his name is special, too. Koller William Balster.

"First thing out of the hospital, we went to Grandmom's, introduced her to Koller. She was absolutely ecstatic," the baby's mother, Chrissy Balster, said.

"I've always loved the name Cole. And Chrissy one day was like, 'What about Koller?'" the baby's father, Patrick Balster, said. "So we thought about it. Then we went Koller William, which William Koller was (Chrissy's) grandfather's name."

This big family grew from a small one. Peggy was an only child. "I wanted to have a big family. I think it's difficult being an only child - it's lonely," she said.


There are four generations and most of them are still living in the Philadelphia area. They've gone on to become lawyers, educators, real estate developers, and one of Peggy's sons even took over the family business - the well known Koller Funeral Home in Roxborough. "I always hoped for a doctor but never got one," said Peggy with a laugh.

Peggy's family says she never misses a baptism, graduation or birthday party. It's her more than 100 descendants that keep her active and feeling blessed on every holiday and every family gathering.

"She's really an inspiration. And to be the age she is and still going about it every day - it's unbelievable," said Greg Stokes, grandson. (short video, here)

When she looks back at her incredible life and what's been created - every day is Mother's Day. "It worked out beautifully," said Peggy.



It is still a mess here in my studio/office.  I don't know why I think you want to see my mess, but here it is ...



  I stopped to watch the little league championships then got back to work and missed Jeopardy because I didn't set an alarm! I looked up and it was 7:30 and I said "&%@#!!" It's a good thing I live alone! The sorting what to keep is daunting, and what slows the process is when I find something I hadn't seen in a long time.


Young WW @ 2 in 1975

Young WW @ 2 in 1975

It does feel so good to get rid of stuff I shouldn’t have saved to begin with. 
 
This popped on my FB today!!

I had a big folder from my 3 week trip to the Orient with my Dad for his 80th birthday in 1990! I tossed ticket stubs, folders, receipts and all sorts of nonsense, 98% gone, 2% photos & specials survived.
 
To be continued.

 
 
 
A 2+minute video, Elephant sandal, here.


 
Just because ...
 
 
Whiskered Auklet

 
 


Smiles for Sunday ...
 
 

 





 



 
 

                             Thanks for coming by today

 


3 comments:

elenor said...

Such precious pictures of young WW.
Jacki, your desk reminds me of my desk. I also find it hard to give away things I once thought I must have. I'm already happy about each piece of paper I get rid of. Getting rid of things doesn't mean to get rid of memories - Sarah Mueller is so right.

jacki long said...

Thank you Elenor! I am weary tonight, but happy to have made a little progress. I am paying the price for saving too much, everything it seems? ;o)

john said...

Oh my! I looked and looked at this piece. I wondered if you used fabric. The pop of red with the numbers is just everything. It finished off this piece. Spectacular! :-)