Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Day 3636: Art and a Salad.

 

 

"Depression": ink drawing, collage

 


Want music?




Click here: Silk Sonic, Leave the Door Open.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

2GN2S ...

I just now discovered Laura Petrovich-Cheney! Literally, ten minutes ago I had no idea what 2GN2S would be about? Then I saw this ...

I love collage but have never thought of using recycled wood to make a collage, fascinating!

 


Laura Petrovich-Cheney’s work is a profound assessment of contemporary issues merging with traditional folk art practices, quilting, woodworking and her re-purposed art with environmental issues of climate change. Described as a Philly girl living in Boston. 
 

In all of the artist’s recent sculpture, a dialogue exists between environmental and individual concerns. Much of Laura’s work is feminist in nature, incorporating traditional women’s arts such as needlework and quilting, which are then transformed through found and re-purposed materials. 
 

Laura’s dedication to her vision has been reflected in several shows, including the 2018 Memory and Material exhibit at the International Quilt Museum and What Remains at the Fuller Craft Museum in 2017. In October 2017 at Brooklyn’s A.I.R. Gallery, Laura examined the political, social, and communal impacts of quilts in her curated exhibit Beyond the Bedcovers, a group show explored how quilting has evolved beyond its cozy functionality.


 Laura was born in Philadelphia and raised in Haddonfield, New Jersey. For twenty years, she has lived in Asbury Park, New Jersey. She earned her BA in Fine Arts and English Literature at Dickinson College. Laura also has an MS degree in Fashion Design from Drexel University and an MFA in Studio Arts from Moore College of Art and Design. She has taught in New Jersey public schools for fifteen years as an elementary-level art teacher and at the college level for two years, as well as presenting lectures and workshops to adults. Laura now lives with her husband in Boston, dog and cat.

 

 
See more of Laura Cheney on Instagram here.

 



My main accomplishment of the day was a salad.
Kind of like a last supper before I went to the dentist for the first half of a dental implant. (TMI)




A huge salad. Romaine, arugula, Persian cucumbers, green onions, orange & yellow mini peppers,  cherry tomatoes, avocado, hard-boiled eggs,  Colby-jack cheese tossed with a creamy sesame dressing. I should have taken a picture, it was that pretty. But, I didn't know it was going to be mentioned in this silly blog.


 
 
 
A great 7-minute video, balancing rockshere.


 
Just because ...
 
 
Crested Dutch Hen

 
 


Smiles for Wednesday ...
 
 

 



 



    

   
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today

 


8 comments:

john said...

This piece is so amazing I do not even know what to say. :-). Jacki, you have rendered me speechless. I have to think about it for awhile.

J Todd said...

Thanks for posting about this artist, Jacki. It's really timely for a talk I'm giving next month on art and the environment. And your blog is NOT "silly"!

Irene said...

That’s some thing to have John speechless! Ha ha your portrait is amazing! Good luck with your dental work, Jacki.

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. It is a bit out of the box for me, but there is so much depression in our world. Take good care.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Judy! I am so glad that enjoyed her recycled art. I love seeing art evolve from what would be landfill. I have a whole folder of recycled art, if you can use any of it?

jacki long said...

Wow, so good to hear from you, Irene. I don't think I expect you to see this silly blog, but I am flattered when you do. The dental procedure was painless and now I wait six months for the final reveal! ;o)

elenor said...

Seeing your interpretation of "Depression" one knows exactly what it feels like. It's excellent!
What a great discovery! Laura Petrovich-Cheney's art is so wonderful and so creative. Thanks for sharing, Jacki.

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenior, Yes, Laura Cheney was a wonderful discovery! I do think I have angels that help me at the last minute! ;o)