Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Day 3649: Photos are memories!

 

"Returning": junk mail collage


 


Want music?




Click here: Temptations, My Girl.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

 

2GN2S ...

  • An upcoming PBS-TV program, Portraits and Dreams,  KCET locally in SoCal on Saturday, August 20, at 10 p.m. looks to me, to be special.   A 2 minute preview, here.

 

(a few photos I pulled from the preview)

Portraits and Dreams revisits photographs created by Kentucky schoolchildren in the 1970s and the place where the photos were made. The film is about the students, their work as visionary photographers and the lives they have led since then, as well as the linkage of personal memory to the passage of time. I'll be there. 

 


I had something else in mind for this update, but writing the above reminded me of my favorite blog out of the 3649 daily blogs so far over the 9+ years. It was Day 439  (3210 days ago) titled, So easy even a ... ( 3 and 5 year old can do it!) 

At a wonderful family celebration of Grandpa Nomura's life,  I turned my camera over to the 3 year old Kinuye and her brother, 5 year old, Kenji  to take the pictures. The results are classics and I love revisiting that great day through their eyes. Though nine years ago (2013) and the cameramen are now teenagers, I enjoy it just as much now as then. If you have time, you can see it here. Let me know what you think? 


 


 
 
 
 
 
 
A odd 3-minute video, bee controlhere.


 
Just because ...
 
 
Silver-throated Tanager


 


A Thought for Tuesday ...
 
  
 

Amy Beth Gardner   August 14, 2016 

My daughter starts middle school tomorrow. We've decorated her locker, bought new uniforms, even surprised her with a new backpack. But tonight just before bed, we did another pre-middle school task that is far more important than the others. I gave her a tube of toothpaste and asked her to squirt it out onto a plate. When she finished, I calmly asked her to put all the toothpaste back in the tube. She began exclaiming things like "But I can't!" and "It won't be like it was before!" I quietly waited for her to finish and then said the following:
"You will remember this plate of toothpaste for the rest of your life. Your words have the power of life or death. As you go into middle school, you are about to see just how much weight your words carry. You are going to have the opportunity to use your words to hurt, demean, slander and wound others. You are also going to have the opportunity to use your words to heal, encourage, inspire and love others. You will occasionally make the wrong choice; I can think of three times this week I have used my own words carelessly and caused harm. Just like this toothpaste, once the words leave your mouth, you can't take them back. Use your words carefully, Breonna. When others are misusing their words, guard your words. Make the choice every morning that life-giving words will come out of your mouth. Decide tonight that you are going to be a life-giver in middle school. Be known for your gentleness and compassion. Use your life to give life to a world that so desperately needs it. You will never, ever regret choosing kindness."
 
  
 

                             Thanks for coming by today

 

 

4 comments:

elenor said...

What a wonderful blog, Jacki! I loved EVERYTHING, from the start to the end. Thank you so much!

john said...

I love when you turn the ephemera upside down and use it in your work. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenor, I am so glad you liked it too, it was one of my very favorites.

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. I don't intend to ever have the test right side up, just a quirk I guess?