Sunday, November 27, 2022

Day 3752: Gifted and Perfect Reason.


 

"Unrest": digital collage



Want music?




Click here: Jacksons, Show You the Way.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 


2GN2S ...

GIFTED: Collecting the Art of California, at Gardena High School, 1919-1956

 
Good friend/artist, Irene Rafael recommended this show for the blog.She and her husband saw the show and as a graduate of Gardena High school, they were impressed I am showing some, but with a link to the entire show, here.
 

Edgar Alwin Payne, Rockbound, 1921, Oil on canvas. Gift of the Class of 1921.

 

Edgar Alwin Payne, Rockbound, 1921, Oil on canvas. Gift of the Class of 1921.

From 1919 to 1956, students in the senior class selected, purchased, and donated some seventy-two works of art to the high school as class gifts. In 1923 Gardena High School designed a new auditorium to house the permanent collection, establishing the first public art gallery in Southern California with a collection of regional art. Since the mid-1950s, the collection has been in storage and unavailable for viewing by the public. Gardena High School established the collection when plein-air painting flourished in Southern California, setting the tone for the high school’s collecting emphasis during the following decades. 

Elanor Ruth Eaton Gump Colburn, Gold—The New Era, 1934, Oil on canvas. Gift of the Class of 1936.
  

The GHSAC includes works by prominent painters of California Impressionism, including William Wendt, Edgar Payne, Hanson Duvall Puthuff, Jean Mannheim, Franz Bischoff, Maurice Braun, Alson Clark, Agnes Pelton, and Marion Wachtel among others. Later works by Loren Barton, Maynard Dixon, and Emil Kosa reflect the influence of the American Scene movement popular during the Depression era as well as the dramatic shifts in style characteristic of the art of the post-war period.

John Hubbard Rich (1876-1954) The Brass Bowl,1922 oil on canvas, gift of the Summer Class of 1924

To see the entire collection at your convenience, here.




The Perfect reason ...

A few days ago, I noticed that I had missed a call from a good friend/artist, Valerie. Then I saw that she left a message. On that message she wished me Happy Thanksgiving and said "we need to get together the next week, because (pause) we do!" Feel free to use the best reason ever?

 
 

 
 
 
A sweet 6-minute video, cocoonhere.


 
Just because ...
 
Spotted Nutcracker



 
 
Smiles for Sunday ...
 

  
 
 

 

    

  
 

                             Thanks for coming by today

 

6 comments:

elenor said...

Excellent digital collage, Jacki.
This collection of art is impressive.
What I liked most is the Gratitude Scavenger Hunt. Each day I think about what I'm grateful for but here are some new to me ideas I never had. Thanks for this, Jacki!

Carrol Wolf said...

The art collection is stellar. And what a great idea: thank you for sharing the total collection website. When I watched the worm attempting to get into the cocoon,it reminded me of some of the pants in my closet: they just seem to be shrinking. And as I have said before, your blog is something that I look forward to and am grateful for, each day. Thank you.

john said...

Just the best….using something that many people just overlook but has so much interest….way to go! :-)

jacki long said...

Thank you Elenoe, Yes, I agree, our gratitude needs to be daily. Have a great week!

jacki long said...

Awww, thank you Carrol.It makes me happy when you like the blog. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Have a terrific week ahead.

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. Yes, I took that photograph at the Wetlands a few years ago, I loved the pattern on the chain link. Have a great week!