Saturday, November 4, 2023

Day 4099: Architecture and Photos.

 

"Undercover": digital collage.


 

Want music?

    Click here: Beatles, Love Me Do

 


2GN2S ... 


Almost Perfect

100-Year Old Tokyo Rice Shop Converted to a Space for Creatives


all photos by Brian Scott Peterson


Tokyo based illustrator Luis Mendo would often travel to the neighborhood of Asakusabashi to pick up sketchbooks. 
And over time he began falling in love with the creative and artistic vibe of the town. He and his wife Yuka were weary of feeling isolated in Shinjuku. Their tight apartment was putting a strain on their love for hosting artist friends from overseas. So when they stumbled onto a 100-Year old building that formerly housed a rice shop, it immediately checked so many boxes for them. 
It was almost perfect.

After some renovations, Almost Perfect opened in Octobe 2018.
  An essentially a short-term residency program for foreign creatives who want to come to Japan to learn, be inspired and display their work. The 1st floor serves as a gallery and cafe space. Luis & Yuka added a  wall to showcase art and kept the old rice machines in place as a tribute to the owner’s past hours of labor.





the 1st floor exhibition and cafe space


The 2nd floor has been completely renovated and now functions as a sleeping quarters for the resident artist, as well as a shared office space. The top and 3rd floor is where Luis and Yuka reside.
Built right after the 1923 Kanto earthquake, the 100-year old building survived the WWII bombings and is in surprisingly great shape with lots of old elements remaining as a nod to its past. Almost Perfect has already completed its 1st residency with French comic artist Charles Berberian and is currently hosting their 2nd creative resident, British photographer Hugo Tillman.
 

the resident creative’s sleeping quarters

the 2nd floor residency and studio






If you’re interested in becoming a resident, 
check out their website.


 

Pictures at the demo, taken by others.

    

taken by Karen Espitia

taken by Dan Kee

 
taken by Dan Kee

A big thank you to everyone who left home and came to see. I really enjoyed the evening and seeing friends. I am glad if you had some laughs. Grandhunk #2, aka Jake, made it all work so easily, you can see he is special!

 

 
 
 
A 1minute video, Gorilla up close, here.


 
Just because ...

Silver-breasted Broadbill


Saturday's Smiles ...
 
 


    

    
 




 
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We gave Sensei some Triscuits one time. He was not impressed.

jacki long said...

I don't blame him!

john said...

Love this piece,.. bold and strong. Love seeing you at the demo. The photo collage of you is very special. :-)

elenor said...

Jacki, I love seeing you in these great pictures from your art demo. You look so happy and young. Wonderful!

Carrol Wolf said...

If I were only younger, I would look into that beautiful experience of living and creating in Japan. For now, I'll just imagine that I am there vicariously.

I also loved the photos of you at the demo. Jake is definitely a keeper, and I'm certain the other grandsons are too: lucky you.

Cheryl aka daughter#2 said...

I love seeing you look so happy in these photos & I also the the art piece you created!!

jacki long said...

Thanks, John, The demo went well, today I had a tournament, Now for some lazy time?

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. I did enjoy the art demo and today the tournament. Thanks again.

jacki long said...

I agree Carrol, I would have loved this maybe ten years ago? I can picture it, but the stairs would do me in. ;op Yes, I don't think Dan can take a bad picture?

jacki long said...

Awe, thank you daughter #2, it is a lovely surprise, hearing from you! I hope to see you Wednesday?

Anonymous said...

I’m so glad that you enjoyed yourself at the demo! You look great as always! Hope to see you soon XO