Friday, November 3, 2023

Day 4098: Cups and Grandhunks.


"Red": junk mail collage, digital


 

Want music?

    Click here: Corine Bailey Rae, Like A Star

 


2GN2S ... 

Starbucks holiday cups 2023

 For fans of Starbucks, the holidays officially kick off this week with the arrival of its seasonal cups.

Beginning yesterday, customers at US locations will have their hot drinks served in one of four festive cups that are “clad in holiday red and Starbucks greens and a mood-boosting magenta,” according to a release.

Noticeably different in this year’s design is the magenta accent, which “lifts the traditional holiday colors and makes the red even look brighter,” said Kristy Cameron, Starbucks’ creative director.
 


 

 THE DEMO

I  did survive the demonstration last evening. I had help from handsome Grandhunk 2! Last weekend, Jake asked about the art demo. I told him and he said he wanted to go with me, to carry stuff and watch. I said I thought it might be boring for him, but he was serious. On Wednesday, he arrived at 4:15 and carried all of my supplies to the car and we were off. We were both hungry and Jake decided on Vox in Fountain Valley.




     

A wonderful meal, thanks GH#2! Now to ...

 

The Huntington Beach Art League is a thriving community of 250 artists. They meets the first Wednesday of each month at this beautiful venue. Grandhunk #2, aka Jake and I arrived at 6:15 PM to set up for the evening's demonstration.

Before the demonstration I was asked to judge the art competition, always a difficult job. Soon after I started. They have a great set-up with an overhead camera projecting onto a large screen. Many thanks to Tony Perdue, who still gives his time and energy to set up audio and visual which helps beyond measure. This was my fifth time , so I wanted to do something different? I had the idea to take 6-10 canvases in various states of work, and to try to improve them with acrylics and or collage. I had one finished canvas for the raffle, but told them they could choose any of the 11 canvases brought.

   

This was a start up canvas that did get finished. I have to admit I overestimated what I could get done in 75 minutes, but it was really about reusing or refinishing old canvas. In the end the raffle winner got her choice of all canvases and the next 10 raffle numbers called got the choice of the next10 canvas. Kinda like homework?

A evening of seeing friends, a lovely group.  

Extra Update

Grandhunk #1 and Grandcutie came to the OC for a few days, and we had lunch today at our first choice, Naan & Kabob ...

 
   
We all had the #27 meal, Raquel and I had the lunch, and tall-guy, Jordan had the dinner size. A patron for over 20 years, always delicious.

   

Missing GH#3 in Nevada, but two Grandhunks and a Grandcutie within two days, this Grandma is so blessed. 

 


 
 
 
A 3 minute video, Domino Car, here.


 
Just because ...
 
Rufous Motmot

Friday's Smiles ...
   
 

  
 
 








10 comments:

Sam Zimmerman said...

I absolutely LOVE your shirt!

J Todd said...

Extremely enjoyable demo, Jacki. So many lovely creations to look at, including the grandhunk. I'm going to have to try those restaurants! I worked on the artwork I won in the raffle and posted it in the art league group on FB. Thank you for being willing to do another demo for us!!!

elenor said...

Congratulation to your great success, Jacki. It's so heartwarming to see you together with your grandsons. I can imagine what it means to you spending time with them.

jacki long said...

Thanks they had it in grey too, from Amazon, I guess they might still have it? I hope you are doing well?

Carrol Wolf said...

Thank you, thank you Jacki,

First for your wisdom: you have a grandson who absolutely adores and admires you. Seeing him be so pleased to be by your side, was the unexpected wonderful aspect of your demo. (I can only hope that the grandson I have close by will feel this way about me when he is almost an adult.)
Second for a most interesting and fun demo. You are so comfortable about your art: you make it look easy, you tell great stories, you involve the whole audience.
Before you decide to relocate to LV, we need to have a long lunch. You pick the place, give me some dates, and I'll make it work. (Pick Thursdays, and Fridays please.
HBAL is so lucky that you took your time to come entertain and amaze us!

jacki long said...

Thanks, Judy! It was so good to see you and a recent photo of you on FB was so good, I snagged it! I like what you did with the canvas, it look so much better!

jacki long said...

Thank you, Carrol, for asking me to do the demo. I enjoyed the entire process. Jake was such a great helper and as someone said, not bad to look at either? I don't envision moving to LV for at least 2 years, so we can have lots of lunches! Give Stan a hug for me, I love his smile. Thanks for everything Carrol, you are amazing.

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenor, yes, it was a lovely evening. Wonderful memories. Have a great weekend, Elenor!

john said...

The small background papers, the ones with the smaller font, almost make that area the negative space. Love it! :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. so good to hear from you. I love negative space, don't you?