Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Day 3841: Sister Jean and Northern Lights.

"Uncertainty": junk mail collage


Want music?




Click here: Hiroshima, One Fine Day.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 

 

2GN2S ...

At 103, Sister Jean publishes memoir of faith and basketball

At age 103, Sister Jean awakes daily at 5 a.m. She sits up quickly to avoid going to sleep again — “I’ve got too much to do,” she says. After prayers for the day ahead, she reads the Gospel on her tablet. “I guess there aren’t too many 103-year-old nuns using iPads these days – there aren’t too many 103-year-olds, period,” she writes in her memoir that will be published Feb. 28. “But I’m pretty comfortable with modern technology. I’ve always said, ‘If you’re not moving forward, you’re going to get left behind real quick.’ Adaptability is my superpower.” In “Wake Up with Purpose: What I’ve Learned in My First Hundred Years,” Sister Jean Dolores Schmidt tells her life story, offers spiritual guidance and shares some of the lessons she’s learned.

The beloved Catholic nun captured the sports world’s imagination and became something of a folk hero as the chaplain for the Loyola Chicago men’s basketball team that reached the NCAA Final Four in 2018. She has been featured by newspapers and TV stations across America. Her NCAA news conference, she was told, had more journalists than Tom Brady drew at the Super Bowl. Her likeness appears on socks, bobbleheads, even a Lego statue at her gallery in Loyola’s art museum. She sees the attention as a holy opportunity to tell her story and share what she’s learned; to help others wake up with purpose. Among her priorities, there’s little that she enjoys more than talking with young people. 

Her Bobblehead
 

* Personally, although I am a couple of decades behind Sister Jean, I have watched and admired her on television for decades, anytime Loyola men's or women's basketball were playing. I have been amazed by her strength and focus, and delighted with the respect and genuine care she gets from everyone. I read recently, but can't find it to quote, that she holds regular office hours 10 am to 4pm, and will see anyone, and they can discuss religion or anything they want. What an inspiration! She narrates a short video about her life, here.



A silly little story.

 
explore.org lets me know when there is something I should see.  Don't you love that part of technology? One night they did just that. "Amazing Aurora over Churchill, Manitoba, Canada".

And it reminded me of one of my trips to Canada, I was lucky to stay with Marian and Cam Steuart, and their two huge German Shepherds. I kept asking about seeing the "northern lights" and some of the Canadians told me if I did, to be sure and whistle so the lights would dance! I slept on the couch and was listening to the news when they mentioned the aurora made good watching that night. It was almost midnight and the whole house was asleep. I threw on a robe, and took the dogs for a walk. We went out into the adjacent field and the news was right it really was spectacular. Then I remembered and started whistling. I will never forget the look those two dogs gave me! I had never before, or since felt so stupid. 

I love the Canadians.

 


 
Throwback Thursday
 
2006 Young Grandhunks# 2, 3, 1
(When I was the tallest)
 
 
 
 
A great 7-minute video, The boxhere.

 
Just because ...
 
Double-crested Cormorant

 
 


Smiles for Thursday ...
 

  

  

  



 

                             Thanks for coming by today ...

 


4 comments:

elenor said...

What a lovely pic of you and the three boys! It's nice to have such cute photos to remember a time long gone.
Sister Jean really is an inspiration. She looks so kind and happy.

john said...

It is a struggle living with uncertainty and having to deal with it daily must be so overwhelming. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor. Yes, Sister Jean is remarkable in so many ways. I can't imagine at 103!?

jacki long said...

Yes, indeed.It is heartbreaking with no end in sight? Thank you, John. I appreciate you.