Thursday, February 16, 2023

Day 3835: Jet Villa and Bert's Boots

 

'Unsettled": ink, acrylic, collage.



Want music?




Click here:Charlie Puth, Let's Marvin Gaye
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 


2GN2S ...

Private Jet Villa by Hanging Gardens

The first world luxury jet villa on a 150-meter cliff above the beautiful ocean on the island of Gods.

 

 
 

  

  


  


  

  


Short videos: (here), (here) & (here)



I really loved my Uncle Bert, all of my life & still.



I was an only child, and only around adults.
Bert was special, a fun grown-up! Married to Bea, they were the Ken & Barbie of their day.


Bea & Bert
  
Bea was beautiful & my Dad's cousin from Indiana.
All had moved to SoCal about the same time. 

Bea & me age2


Bert had been a Marine & had colorful language. My Mother was driving with me in the front seat (I was about 4) and when she made a U turn, she said I said, "where in the hell are you going Mom?" She said she pulled over and went into a store and laughed so I wouldn't think it was cute. I do remember a swear jar for Bert at our house.
 
Bert would take me with him on errands, 
even to ball games. 


me age 5 & Bert

I would have gone to the moon with him gladly, anytime.




Bert gave me a discarded baseball from one of the games.  He wrote "Bert + Jacki" on it. I treasured that worn out ball with the faded writing forever. I took it with me to boarding school at age 8, later to Australia, later to high school & college. Sometimes someone would ask who Bert was, I'd smile and say"special." 


Bert was a graduate of Wabash University, and a mechanical engineer. He returned to Indianapolis 500 several years as pit crew chief.
Bert (center) & crew at the brickyard

A beloved auto mechanics teacher at Van Nuys High School, he would take his boys to national auto competitions for Ford.


1984

Bea & Bert were a special part of young WW's life too.  In later years Bert was ill and they moved to Indiana to be near family. Before they moved, I was given Bert's boots. 


  

I wear Bert's boots during any heavy rain days. Bea and Bert have been gone a long time now, but I miss them still.So grateful, great memories last a long time.




 
 
A  2-1/2-minute video,  Brushes here.


 
Just because ...
 
 
Masked Lapwing


 


Smiles for Friday ...
 


 

  

 
    
 
  
 

                             Thanks for coming by today ...


 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your old memories and how special you felt about your uncle Bert. It is funny how time slips by leaving us with special memories. Sometimes looking back feels like it was just a dream. So far away from where we are.

elenor said...

Jacki, I too liked your memories and pics of Uncle Bert. To see you at age 2 and then 5 is lovely. It's great to have such pictures telling all this was real. Can you say how long ago this happened? A few days, or 50 years? For me it seem there is no difference.
Wishing you a happy weekend!

jacki long said...

Dear Anonymous, thank you for your kind words. I would say more but I don't know who I am writing to??

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. You are so kind. At age 2 it would have been 1943, and at age 5, 1946. I al blessed to have a lot of photos that help the memory.Have a great weekend.

john said...

The structural component of this piece are wonderful. :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John, I likes this and stopped before I would have ruined it.