Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Day 3826: Woodpecker and Canary.

 

"Hope": collage, photography, digital.

 

 


Want music?




Click here: Lionel Richie, Love Will Conquer
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 


2GN2S ...

Woodpecker stored over 700lbs of acorns in walls of CA home.


A Santa Rosa pest control company says a woodpecker stored over 700 lbs of acorns in a California home. A pest control company had its hands full after a woodpecker's impeccable work caused damage to a home in Sonoma County. Nick's Extreme Pest Control was called to the house in Glen Ellen. And here's where it gets nutty.

Workers say the woodpecker was making holes to store its food, which kept falling into spaces in the walls.

The acorn woodpecker likes to store acorns, naturally enough, to consume later

When they cut into the wall, over 700 pounds of acorns were discovered. The company posted on Facebook that there was eight bags' worth of acorns stuffed in the walls. "Never came across anything like it," the post said.

 


I am eternally grateful to my Mother's two sisters who changed my life, almost everything came from their generosity and love. I mention this because I have an Aunt Vonda story for you today, but there are many Aunt Martha stories to come.

Aunt Vonda in her kitchen with the ivy wallpaper.

Aunt Vonda loved birds, so in preparing today's blog I remembered this little story. Aunt Vonda always had a canary in the kitchen. His name was always Bing. Aunt  Vonda was a wonderful cook, as were all the five sisters, and loved that Bing filled her kitchen and house with song. She would often say, "Bing sings to beat the band!" When a bird comes in my yard, I think it's Aunt Vonda visiting. I do.

 


 

 
A 2+minute video, bird songs, here.

 
Just because ...
 
 
Acorn Woodpecker


 


Smiles for Wednesday ...
  



  



   

  
 

                             Thanks for coming by today ...



 

 

4 comments:

john said...

One lonely poppy does represent hope. Beautiful, Jacki! :-)

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. I love that you comment, I know you are busy.

elenor said...

Jacky, this Aunt Vonda story is so lovely. I too love bird songs and I already made some videos so I can listen to some birds when I rarely hear them around the house. We don't have as many birds as we had some years ago.

jacki long said...

Thamks Elenor, yes, I think maybe our strides for modernization had been at the birds expense, like the bees.