Friday, June 3, 2022

Day 3575: Hope for Ukraine.


 
"Hope for Ukraine": photo & digital.



Want music?




Click here:Joao Gilberto, Girl from Ipanema
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 

2GN2S ...

Ukraine stuns Scotland in World Cup qualifier to give war-torn country a morale boost

Ukrainian fans celebrate after Andriy Yarmolenko's goal had given Ukraine the lead.

Despite a preparation like no other for an international football fixture, Ukraine produced a momentous performance to beat Scotland 3-1 in its World Cup playoff semifinal at Hampden Park in Glasgow Wednesday.

The emotional victory, that brought many watching Ukrainian fans – sporting yellow and blue colors – to tears, puts Ukraine just one win away from qualifying for the Qatar World Cup later this year.

Wednesday’s playoff had originally been scheduled to take place in March, but Russia’s invasion of Ukraine forced the match’s postponement. Ukraine now needs to beat Wales in Cardiff on Sunday in its playoff final to reach the World Cup.

 Before the game, the visitors had spoken about giving those back in their homeland a morale boost during the war and they did just that courtesy of goals from Andriy Yarmolenko and Roman Yaremchuk.

Andriy Yarmolenko had an impressive game for Ukraine.

Given that staying in Ukraine had been too dangerous, the squad have been based at a training camp in Slovenia since May 1 preparing for Wednesday’s game. Prior to playing Scotland, Ukraine’s last competitive game had been in November.

“I have no emotions. All my emotions are left on the football pitch. This victory was not for me, not for the players, it was for our country,” Ukraine’s exhausted head coach Oleksandr Petrakov told reporters after the game.

“We played for those who fight in trenches, those who fight for their last drop of blood. Yes, we took a baby step towards our great aim. We still have the Wales game in front of us and we’ll do everything. We are extremely proud Ukrainians.” 


Roman Yaremchuk doubled Ukraine's lead shortly into the second half.

There was a genuine sense of disbelief inside the stadium after Ukraine took the lead. The instructions from Ukraine’s bench were clear; stay calm. In truth, there was simply no stopping this Ukraine side, perhaps unsurprising given the depth of emotion motivating them. 

 


This Ukraine team had something more than football to fight for, though, and dug in until the end – eventually extending its lead with the last kick of the game through Dovbyk. Ukraine’s players were too tired to celebrate though as many fell to the ground, exhausted both mentally and physically at full-time.

Now just one win away from playing in Qatar, there is a real chance Ukraine will be there – something even more significant given Russia are banned from competing. As the last remaining light began to fade away on a special night in Glasgow, all that was left was the Ukrainian fans singing, crying and dancing in the stands.



Update ...

My experience with FaceTime. 
 
   
When I was in France in 2019 I got a call? Who would call me in France? I accepted and found I was looking at Grandhunk #3 calling to check on me. It was my first FaceTime, ever, and it was a shock. I loved seeing him, but him seeing me, not so much. Wednesday I got a call from WW in AZ that was also a FaceTime, and again I loved seeing her, and Grandhunks 1, 2 & 4 as they were visiting. GH #3 stayed in CM as he had to work. It's a mixed blessing since you get to see who you are talking to, which is wonderful, but they get to see you, ugh.


 
Happy June!
 
I always enjoy inserting the new month's artwork 
from good friend and Albuquerque artist, Terry Garrett
I so appreciate his talents and generosity.

 


Thank you Terry!

  

   

 
A yummy 2+minute video, Souffle Omelettehere.


 
Just because ...
 
Red-capped Robin
 
 
 


Smiles for Friday ...
 
 

  




 
 

   
 

                                                               Thanks for coming by today.

 


4 comments:

john said...

Spectacularly beautiful. :-)

elenor said...

This is such a nice picture of you! I LOVE FaceTime. It gives me so many more informations seeing the person I'm chatting with. And one feels much more connected with the other person. But tomorrow I don't need FaceTime. My son and grandchildren are coming to my place. Lucky me.
Jacki, have a happy weekend too.

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. I do love it when you like it.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. I guess I will learn to like FaceTime? I am so happy for you to be with your family, enjoy your great weekend! ;o)