Friday, August 31, 2018

Day 2227: ...it was an experiment!






Anne of Avonlea: mixed media - book, collage & marker.












Want music?

 




Click here for Michael Jackson, Butterflies.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?










I spent most of Wednesday herding supplies & tools for






wanting to have a sample for Thursday's class, 
I worked on the upcoming book project.
Starting with an old book from the used bookstore ...





A book lover, but if you could see all the lonely books 
in the used book store,at least these books will be used.























 
Book surgery: the front side of the spine is slit, then the back.
 














Which separates the hardback cover from the text signatures.






I will use all of the text pages in future collages.

 




Turning the inside upright, the hardback will be the substrate. 
Many artists use the front or back separately, as substrates.






I decided to line the interior with pages from the this book.
I used gel medium to adhere the pages to the inner book.
Another option would be to gesso the interior.



front
back




























My plan was to use the book as a wall hanging from bamboo.
I hadn't figured out how to attach the book, it was an experiment.





It looks fairly sad at this point, but collage may save it.
Even though I am on a cactus kick, I decided to do a collage doll.






I started with her legs & my favorite part, the shoes.
Working paper on paper, I switched to gluestick & brayer.












Collage finished, but in need of outlining with marker.






I would have been done, 
but decided I against tan & white string.





I switched to red & white butcher string.
I had originally thought I'd use wire, but 
it could also be yarn, ribbon or various strings. 
Beads could be added as well.
This was done as a sample and I learned a lot! 
For one, the stringing is the hardest part, and ...
it could look a lot better than what is shown here.
This was an experiment, but doable.

I hope you'll visit again Saturday to see the class work.











A smile for Friday ...






No comments: