Monday, May 6, 2024

Day 4271: Human Hand, Timeline.


"Help": junk mail collage

  



  

Want music?

 

    

Click : Johnny Mathis, Misty.

 

  

 

 
2GN2S



Work With Your Hands = Good for Your Brain 

Activities like writing, gardening and knitting can improve your cognition and mood. Tapping, typing and scrolling? Less so. ;op

The human hand is a marvel of nature. No other creature on Earth, has hands structured quite like ours, capable of such precise grasping and manipulation.

But we’re doing less intricate hands-on work than we used to. A lot of modern life involves simple movements, such as tapping screens and pushing buttons, and some experts believe our shift away from more complex hand activities could have consequences for how we think and feel.


“When you look at the brain’s real estate — how it’s divided up, and where its resources are invested — a huge portion of it is devoted to movement, and especially to voluntary movement of the hands,” said Kelly Lambert, a professor of behavioral neuroscience at the University of Richmond in Virginia.

Dr. Lambert, who studies effort-based rewards, said that she is interested in “the connection between the effort we put into something and the reward we get from it” and that she believes working with our hands might be uniquely gratifying.

To read entire article, click here



From the timeline series ...


age 2

Grandpa's farm, Boone County, Indiana


 
 
 
 

  
 
A 3+ minute video, First Date,  here
 
 
 
  
 
Just because ...
  
Western Jackdaw

 


 

Monday's Smiles ...  





 








  
   
 
 
 
 


 





4 comments:

Carrol Wolf said...

Happy Monday, Jacki,

As usual, you always make my day and in some cases, my week, start off great. I am a believer in the hand connection to the earth and that it is also a way to be happy. Whether I'm cooking, painting or drawing, or patting Bentley's tummy, it all feels good. I had seen the "First Date" video before, but it is so cute, that I totally enjoyed it again. The landline "funny" is too true! And I screen-captured the one about the really important things in life. Have a good week, I plan to also.

elenor said...

Jacki, I really loved everything in your wonderful blog! I'm lucky to have really skilled hands (I'm not sure this makes sense, please tell me) and i always love when something I made with my hands turns out nicely. I was sewing quite a lot for my grandchildren for their birthdays and they love everything. That makes me happy.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Carrol. I often think od you and your many kills and your going nature to help so many. you are so good at making the most out of you time, it is inspiring to me, as I don't. Thank you for your kind words, it's almost like you can feel when I dragging a bit? I feel so blessed to have you in my life.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor I am wishing you a great week, I think you may still be excited from your family's visit? Yes, I would say you have skilled hands. I haven't the patience for sewing, but I so admire those of you that do. I love that your Grandchildren will have treasures made by you for the,. Precious!