Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Day 4095: Ponderings and an Invitation.

    

"Leader": junk collage, photo, digital.


 

Want music?

    Click here: Chaka Khan, Sweet Thing.

 


2GN2S ... 

I sat at a long traffic light. I noticed birds on all four traffic light extensions. I knew there wasn't time to get out my phone. I studied their line-up, all but two were facing east. I watched as a new bird came to add on ... the end bird charged him until he flew off. I wondered if that was his job or just his personality?
Do you ever notice the bird line up?
Why is it on just some traffic extensions? Why do the majority face the same direction? Is it the wind, or the view or habit? The same day I was pondering these questions, I saw this artwork by Yoshinori Mizutani ...


The photographer Yoshinori Mizutani captures kawau birds perched on electric wires in Tokyo. The Kawau are large seabirds, not unlike seagulls, that were pushed to the brink of extinction in Japan in the 1970s due to pollution. But in recent years they’ve come back – with a vengeance.



For photographer Yoshinori Mizutani, the sight of these  huge birds perched on electric wires in Tokyo were both “visually shocking and at the same time breath-taking.” And they became the basis for a new series of photographs called Kawau.


Mizutani photographed the birds in black and white as the perched on electric wires along Tokyo’s Tama River. The compositions, both beautiful and eerie, are reminiscent of musical notes, but also the Alfred Hitchcock film Birds. Mizutani’s new series is being turned into a photo-book by the same name. 
 



Hmmm, the mind wants to know.


An invitation for you.


18041 Goldenwest St, Huntington Beach, CA 92648
photo by Dan Kee

I have been asked to do an art demo for the Huntington Beach Art League on Wednesday, November 1st. So I am working, preparing for that. It will be at the beautiful, new HB Senior Center on Goldenwest off of the 405 freeway. It starts at 7 PM and done by 8:30. HBAL asked to to post this on my blog and invite anyone that is interested. It's free, you don't have to be a member to attend. It's a great group, I've been a member since 1999. I will be working with about 6+ messed-up canvases and try to finish or at least improve them. To show the recycling of canvases using gesso, collage and acrylic.

    


 

 
 
 
A 3 minute video, baseballs, here.


 
Just because ...
 

Glossy Ibis


Tuesday's Smiles ...
 
 

 

 

Edward Scissorhands, CM Dojo, 1996

 

 
 

Happy Halloween!

 

 

 

4 comments:

elenor said...

Tomorrow is a great day for you, Jacki. I wish I could be there. I hope you'll show some pics of the event and especially of your art works.
Thinking of you and wishing you the best. We say: toi, toi, toi!

jacki long said...

Thanks so much, Elenor! I am a bit frazzled trying to think what I need? Whatever, I will do the best I can? And if all elese fails I'll play my age 81.

john said...

Just plain strong work, Jacki! :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks John, I appreciate your feedback!