Saturday, January 14, 2023

Day 3800: Polar Bears and Heartbeat.

 

  
"Lies": junk mail collage



Want music?




Click here: Norah Jones, Come Away w/ Me
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 


2GN2S ...

Photos of Polar Bears  in Arctic Flower Fields


Slovakian-born, Canada-based photographer Martin Gregus has gained acclaim for his documentation of polar bears. After years of camping expeditions in the Arctic, where he slept within range of the bears, Gregus set out on a new adventure. He was looking to capture the polar bears during the summer. The results are a beautiful portfolio of images that build on Gregus' previous experience and give new insight into these majestic animals. Particularly striking are his photographs of the polar bears in fields of purple flowers. Here, we see them peacefully napping and simply taking in the environment. In one image, it even looks like the bear is breathing in the fresh air and enjoying the moment.





The inspiration came in 2015 when my dad and I were out on the water. We watched as a bear swam and underneath him, a pod of beluga whales played and blew bubbles. I knew I was filming something unique, and with that in mind came an idea: What if we documented these animals in the summertime?




As always, the biggest challenge didn’t come from the bears, but from the arctic environment itself. During the first five days of the trip in 2021, it was just me and my assistant Josh and it just so happened that these five days would be the most dangerous of not just the trip, but probably my life.



We constantly got tossed around in 80+ kilometers an hour [almost 50 mph] winds with gusts exceeding 100+ kilometers an hour [just over 62 mph]. The boat swayed, rocked, and often felt like it would break apart on the rocks. We fought to keep it parallel to the shore, but ultimately we gave up and hoped it would end soon. After five days it finally let up, but I can say with certainty that there were times on the satellite phone with my family when I wasn’t 100% confident we would make it through.

   


All photos by Martin Gregus

This is wonderful to see. The bears changed my life, they inspired me to be the best that I possibly can, and now they are inspiring the world to be the same. I just hope we can return the favor and protect them as much as they protected us.



 
Heartbeat

  

He released a swan hooked to a net: 
"When I was holding him, I felt his heart beating.
  He just relaxed and wrapped my neck with his.   
It's a precious moment when you see an animal trusts you completely.”



 
 
 
A great 3-minute video, Fly w/birdshere.


 
Just because ...
 
 
Guira Cuckoo


 

 


Smiles for Saturday ...
 
 

  
 


  

 

  




   
 

                             Thanks for coming by today

 

 

 


6 comments:

Carrol Wolf said...

Hi Jacki,

Always interesting and creative and this was day 3800! Wow, impressive. The photo of the man and swan almost made me cry. And I am going to send the video to Judy Todd who loves birds and worries about their extinction.

Have a great weekend and Monday holiday.

elenor said...

From the start to the end I really loved everything in this special blog (3800 - what a number!). Thanks, Jacki! Have a great Sunday.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Carrol! I love it when you have time to write, as I know you juggle a million things and do it so well. Yes, I agree that photo of a swan, melts me heart.

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor. Yes, 3800 is a big number. I get to 4000, maybe I'll have fireworks?? ;o) Have a great weekend!

john said...

Just think how many blog entries you have created. Well done! :-)

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. Yes, one day at a time, as you know. ;o)