Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Day 4189: Postcards and GH#2



"Lost days": junk mail collage, ink.

 




  

Want music?

 

    

Click here: Etta James, Somethings Got A Hold

 


  

 

 
2GN2S

 

She’s sent postcards to herself for over 40 years. 

Sending postcards to herself from her travels for over forty years. Here's a selection,
 Here’s what she’s learned ...


Debra Dolan was 21 and on her first solo trip when she first sent a postcard to herself. It was 1979, and Dolan, who grew up in central Canada, was visiting Vancouver for the first time. She was immediately blown away by the city’s vibrancy, and the beauty of the surrounding region.“It was the first time I’d ever really seen mountains and the ocean such as this,” she said.

Dolan wanted to capture the joy she felt when she looked out at the towering Vancouver skyline and the nearby soaring mountains. But although she was usually a keen diarist, Dolan was swept up in the excitement of the trip, and found she barely had a spare moment. “I thought, ‘I don’t have time to write in my journal.’ And I didn’t travel with a camera,” Dolan recalls. “So when we went to Whistler, or Vancouver Island, or saw places in Vancouver, I decided, ‘I’ll just send a postcard to myself.’” On the back of each card, Dolan scribbled a paragraph or two about her impressions, thoughts and feelings, and then mailed it to her home address, signing off each dispatch with a single heart. 

Debra Dolan

Some 10 days later, Dolan returned home to a stack of postcards from herself. Receiving them, recalls Dolan, was “an absolute joy.”

Dolan says all the postcards she's ever sent herself have arrived.


Somewhere along the line, Dolan also switched from being known as Debbie to Debra, so how she addressed the postcards also changed.But the writing of the postcards has remained constant – and so has Dolan’s sign-off of choice. “I have always ended my postcards with a heart,” she says. “I don’t know if that’s just love for myself, or love for the experience of this, or that appreciation of that moment, that time.”

There's more, here.



Monday, Grandhunk #2 stopped by to unload the Costco big items from my car. A quick easy job for him. impossible for me.

GH#2, Jake, age 24      2/12/2024

Jake, age 4.

I hadn't originally planned to add the younger Jake photo, but when I pulled up, I liked it? Amazing changes and sameness in 20 year? He is working full time at his new job, thus the suit has replaced the t-shirt and sandals.

 



 
 
 
 

  
 
A 6  minute video, Oh Sheep, here.
 
 
  
Just because ...
  

WhitePeacock

 



Wednesday's Smiles ...  



 



  
   
 

 
 
  



   



   
  






 




 

 

6 comments:

marilyn said...

Happy Valentine Day to you. Thank you for years of wonderful blogs, art and stories.

tgarrett said...

Happy Valentine's Day dear Jacki!

elenor said...

Love your collage, Jacki.
Why did i never have the idea of sending postcards to myself? Would have been nice.
What a kind and good looking young man your Grandhunk #2 is.
Happy Valentine's Day, dear Jacki!

jacki long said...

Thank you, Marilym. It is lovely to hear from you with your kind words. I miss you.

jacki long said...

Thank you dear Terry, I love my card and you and Ron are so kind. I wouldn't have thought you could get better, you are so talented, but you are! Love to Ron too.

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor! Yes, I agree, it would have been a great habit, which wouldn't have taken long and would have great memories.