Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Day 4181: Weather and Mushin.

 

   

"Nightmares": collage, digital.





  



Want music?

 

    

Click here: Michael Jackson, I'll Be There.

 


  

 

 
2GN2S


 Water and Your Creativity.

Today is our second day of rainfall here in So Ca., where we rarely get any rain. The news stations are full of warnings and pictures of flooding,  as we are to continue to get for six days with 5-12" of rainfall. More than we usually get in a year. Our problem is that we are unaccustomed to the large amounts of water in a short period of time.  The first days saturate the ground level, and additional has to find a new home. Thus the freeways and streets flooded, trees uproot and fall, usually on cars and houses. Powers lines and downhill areas are subject to gravity and move.



But, my intention was to talk about the idea in my head that says we are more creative in rainy weather or even when we are near water. I am not sure where I got that, so I thought I had better look it up ?

Expert opinion from Dr. Anuvitha Kamath

Rainfall noise is a good therapy for improving cognitive functions. The sound of rainfall can provide a soothing effect on the brain. Raindrop noise cancels out all other noises helps to focus on the task and our body and improves creativity. It acts as a stress buster. It can help to revitalize our bodies. Rain provides relaxation, good fragrance, boosts energy, inspires creativity, and improves metabolism. However, there are certain mixed effects of rain. Constant rain clouds continuously blocking the sun can lead to reduced levels of serotonin and melatonin production. This can disrupt the sleep schedule and affect energy, mood, and cognitive function. 

Expert opinion from Dr. Himabindu Sreenivasulu

Rain doesn't directly affect cognitive functions or creativity, but it can indirectly impact them. The sound of rain can have a calming effect, potentially enhancing focus and creativity for some individuals. However, heavy rain or storms might create distractions that could hinder concentration. Additionally, rainy weather might lead to lower natural light levels, which can affect mood and, in turn, cognitive function and creativity in some people. It varies from person to person, so finding a comfortable environment during rainy weather is key to maintaining cognitive function and creativity. 

Expert opinion from Dr. Rinta M Babu

Rain can relax our minds. A relaxed mind gives birth to various cognitive functions and creativity. You can see that many script writers prefer to live close to nature to get fresh ideas. 

Un-expert opinion from this blogger
 

 My friend and artist, John, in Washington, rented a cabin near the water and produced many beautiful works of art. He was happy as a bird with a french fry. I rest my case.




I did this so-so digital graphic on a rainy day in 2003. I can't make out all of what it says, but I am sure I thought it was enlightening?

 
 
And later, in  2011, I created "Mushin" on a rainy day, 
later adding Demura Sensei's beautiful kanji calligraphy.
 

Mushin is a Zen expression meaning the mind without mind and is also referred to as the state of "no-mindness". That is, a mind not fixed or occupied by thought or emotion and thus open to everything.

Demura Sensei explained Mushin to us as mind like water. He said water fits everywhere, in a square container, a round glass, a hole in the ground, anywhere without effort. He wanted us to be able to adapt to any circumstance.


 
 
 
 

  
 
A 3 minute video, North Star, here.
 
 
  
Just because ...
  

NicobarPigeon

 

Tuesday's Smiles ...  


    
 




  
 






 





7 comments:

Sam Zimmerman said...

I like to use coffitivity.com when I'm writing. It plays the ambient sounds you hear in coffee shops, smoothing out the voices so you still hear them but don't get distracted by what they're saying. Rain unfortunately makes me fall asleep!

elenor said...

I like the sound of rain - but only when it stops after a few hours.
Hope the rainfall in So Ca will stop earlier than in 6 days. I know the disaster it causes, that's terrible. We had the same problems during the last months.
Let's hope for better days.

Anonymous said...

We are expecting a couple of days of rain in Okinawa. Will have to get creative and find things to do. Cam

jacki long said...

Thanks Sam, it's so great to hear from you. I've saved the link and will try it when I am writing. Today I have been slothing, big time!

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. It is a very light rain, barely visible, but it adds up. The city of Bel Air, by Beverly Hills has had over 12.5 inches and we have at least 2 more days of rain to go. What would be normal in other states is a disaster for us.

jacki long said...

Hi Cam, and thank you, it's great to hear from you.I saw that you and Mariann were traveling with your brother.I've never been to Okinawa, but I have heard it is really a beautiful island.When I was in France five years ago we went to the lavender museum on a rainy day, maybe there are some indoor venues you can try? Have a lovely trip!

john said...

Give me a rainy day on the coast with art supplies. I am a happy camper. :-)