Sunday, February 11, 2024

Day 4186: Winning Photography and Bright Idea!



"Worn Down" photo, digital.


 





  


Want music?

 

    

Click here: Smokey Robinson, Being With You

 


  

 

 
2GN2S
 
Call to Earth is a CNN editorial series committed to reporting on the environmental challenges facing our planet, together with the solutions. Rolex’s Perpetual Planet initiative has partnered with CNN to drive awareness and education around key sustainability issues and to inspire positive action.


Napping polar bear image wins top wildlife photography prize

Nima Sankhan


An image of a napping polar bear curled up on an iceberg has captured the hearts of voters to become the winner of this year’s Wildlife Photographer of the Year People’s Choice Award. British amateur photographer Nima Sarikhani called it an honor to win the award for the dreamy scene “Ice Bed,” captured off Norway’s Svalbard archipelago, saying that the image “stirred strong emotions,” such as hope, in those who saw it.

Mike Boyd


Shared Parenting: In Kenya's Masai Mara, a pair of lionesses groom one of the pride's five cubs.

:
Auden Rikardson


Aurora Jellies: It's common for moon jellyfish to gather. in their hundreds under the AURORA BOREALIS. This picture was taken in the cool autumnal  waters of a fjord outside of Tromsø in northern Norway.

   
Tzahi Finkelstein

The Happy Turtle: A Balkan Pond Turtle with a northern banded grounding dragonfly perched on it's nose in a moment of coexistence in Israel's Jezreel Valley.

DanielDencescu


Starling Murmuration: A mesmerizing mass of starlings swirl into the shape of a huge bird on their way to common roosts in the skies above Rome, in Italy.


Organizers said more than 75,000 people voted in the competition — a record number. As well as the winner, there were four highly commended finalists shown above. All five images will be exhibited at the Natural History Museum in London until June 30.










I had what I thought was a great idea. I needed to go to Costco. So I waited till 1 PM thinking that the lunch-goers would be leaving and I'd get their parking space, and it wouldn't be so crowded?

.Just to park the car you had to play whack-a-mole, cars lined up with turn signals on. I should have known by that but when I finally found a lady backing out, I thought it was an omen and I took her spot.

 
Once inside, half of Orange County was there, lots of grumpy people. Crowds are bad enough, but grumpy crowds? I decided I was going to smile. I unknowingly blocked the path that grouchy lady was on, So I apologized and smiled, but it didn't help. Her face was stone! That happened twice more with the same result. The next confrontation I was tempted to scowl, like the rest, but I didn't. That lady let a glorious smile bloom on her face! It is truly amazing how a smile graces any face. Any face.

 
My cart was really heavy as I has six big cartons making it hard to maneuver, but I really wanted the foot long hot dog and drink for $1.62, so I pushed my cart over, ordered and paid on the computer and waited in line, and then again to checkout and take it home.
 
But when I got to the check out door, I had to ask for help. The grouchy man yelled "LOADING" and told me where to wait. I did.  Soon a smiling young man came to my rescue. As I started to push my heavy cart, he said, "Let me do that." I did. He said, "You lead, I'll follow." I did. As he was loading the heavy cartons, we talked and I mentioned that it was like a zoo inside. He said, "Superbowl, they're getting the snacks." He was concerned how I would be able to unload.
I told him that I have a strong grandson who would visit and take care of that, and I thanked him again for his help. He smiled.
  


 
 
 
 

  
 
A 5 minute video, Umbra, here.
 
 
  
Just because ...
  

Female Cardinal

 


Sunday's Smiles ...  



 



  
   
 

 
 


  


   




  






  








 




 

 

 


No comments: