Monday, February 5, 2024

Day 4180: Caring Nurses, Boarding School @ 8.

 

 

'"Destruction": junk mail collage.

 



  

Want music?

 

    

Click here:  Jon Batiste, What a Wonderful World

 


  

 

 
2GN2S


Caring Nurses Help End-of-Life Patients Fulfill Wedding Dreams by Arranging Hospital Ceremonies



Natasha Steels-Webb, a critical outreach nurse practitioner, and her colleagues at the North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust in England came up with the idea to create wedding boxes, offering patients the opportunity to say "I do" in the hospital.

"Myself and a colleague decided to create the wedding box after a patient we were caring for had become very unwell and it was clear she was not going to recover," Steels-Webb said in a post on the North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust's website.


After rallying together and pulling off that patient's nuptials, the hospital staff was inspired to grant even more wedding wishes — and elevate the experience. "We felt that we could do something to make future weddings even more special with decorative items, artificial flowers and balloons on standby for such an event," Steels-Webb explained. community for help. Following a social media appeal, donations poured in. community for help. Following a social media appeal, donations poured in.



REPEAT
 
Day 194: Boarding school at 8? 
2/4/2013

from the Timeline series

An only child, my parents divorced when I was five.
I knew they both loved me.

We all just did the best we could.

from the Timeline series

I went to public schools in second and part of third grade.
     
front row, left ... from the Timeline series

Mom worked at night, so at age 8, I went to boarding school.
First, to San Marino School for Girls.

front row, 4th from left ... from the Timeline series

The lady my Mom worked for, was able to get me accepted 
into Flintridge Sacred Heart Academy


a vintage postcard from that time

An all girls Pasadena boarding school on top of a mountain.









It had been a luxury hotel until the depression, when 
the church bought it and converted it into a school.

our room was bottom center, yellow dot

My roommate, DeDe and I had our own room, 
bathroom and once a week cleaning service.
The Dominican nuns were strict but fair.
My hero was Sister Benigna.


We wore uniforms, grey blazer, while blouse and 
plaid pleated skirt, but dressed for dinner each evening.
We ate in a huge dining hall.


DeDe and many of the girls stayed all the time. 
I got to go home on weekends. DeDe came too.
I have many good memories from my years there.
But, it was boarding school, age 8 - 11.

1952 ... from the Timeline series

At age 11 my Mom and I moved to Australia.

But that's another story.



 
 
 
 

  
 
A 7 minute video, Spring,  here.
 
 
  
Just because ...
  

Lake Manyara Kingfisher



Monday's Smiles ...  




 




  
 

  
 
 


   



   










 




 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Great memories. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Lynn said...

What a lovely post Jacki. Thank you. Beautiful collage too.

elenor said...

I loved to hear about your boarding school time and see so many pictures. Thanks Jacki, for sharing your memories with us.

jacki long said...

Thanks you, Anonymous?

jacki long said...

Thank you Lynn, take good care.

jacki long said...

Thanks Elenor, seems like another lifetime ago, but it was an interesting chapter.

jacki long said...

Thanks so much, Irene, your kind words help me more than I can explain. It seems like the stories are the favorites, but I worry that it to much "ME?"

john said...

I love how the negative space becomes the positive space in this piece. :-)