Saturday, October 29, 2022

Day 3723: Cake and a card.


 

"Safety?": photo & digital collage



Want music?




Click here: Marvin Gaye, Mercy, Mercy Me.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 


2GN2S ... 

Tom Hovey, the Illustrator Behind the Delectable ‘Great British Bake Off’ Drawings, on How the Show Has Catapulted His Career

Meet the U.K. artist who has created over 3,000 illustrations of often-fantastical baked goods for the award-winning TV program.  

A planned bake by Stacey Hart for The Great British Bake-Off.

  
For more than a decade, The Great British Bake Off, or The Great British Baking Show, as it has known here in the U.S., has celebrated the art of baking, with amateur contestants crafting astounding confections of flour, butter, and sugar. But before the show reveals those finished creations, it whets viewers’ appetites with colorful illustrations of each bake, which for all 13 seasons, as well as various holiday specials and spinoffs, designed by Bristol artist Tom Hovey.

Tom Hovey at work in the studio
 

Now 39 years old, Hovey had moved to London and was struggling to find work as a young artist back in 2010 when a friend connected him with an entry-level editing job at a new cooking show. As it happened, that show was Bake Off, which was just getting underway on its very first season—and fortuitously, Hovey confessed to his new bosses that he was an aspiring illustrator for whom a T.V. job was nothing more than a paycheck.

“One day, they came back from lunch, pulled me aside, and said, ‘Through the course of editing the first episode, we’ve realized that there’s a little visual element missing from the show. The bakers are throwing flour and eggs in the bowls and then sitting on the floor and staring at ovens for 20 minutes—it’s hard to kind of get a grasp on what’s actually being created. We’d like you to have a go at giving the viewers a way to understand what the bakers are putting together,'” Hovey told Artnet News. It took a few drafts, but Hovey eventually managed to create the first of the colorful illustrations that would quickly become a fixture of the show.

A planned bake by Paul Jagger for The Great British Bake Off.

A planned bake by Kim-Joy Hewlett for The Great British Bake Off.

A planned bake by Selasi Gbormittah for The Great British Bake Off.

A planned bake by Helena Garcia for The Great British Bake Off.

Despite having illustrated more than 3,000 bakes over the past 12 years, the artist has never actually tasted any of the food—even though this might seem a natural perk of the job. In fact, he has only been on set once, when he visited with his wife in 2014.

“It was quite nice to see the tent in person, but the reality is it’s a long day of filming, and if you don’t turn up at the right time, there isn’t stuff to eat. You’ve got to hang around, and we were just in and out really,” Hovey explained. (He’s been invited back many times, but has never made it happen.)


Last week I got a great Halloween card from Mitzi, here. So I knew I wanted to make a card for her, but WW was here and I got distracted. 

Tonight I thought, I must get to it. I have exquisite radar for when the time is about to expire. I had an idea of what I wanted so I made a quick scribble.


It never turns out like the quick sketch, but gives me a start. I wanted to watch the world series, but my tv in my studio is not working, so I took some paper into the living room and cut and tore some of the objects I needed, while I watched off and on.


Then later, I added them to the clothesline drawn on the card, they are attached only at the clothespin area.


The above is the final of the front. 
Below is the final of the inside of the card
 

I might collage something on the envelope, or not?
By the time you read this, it is in the mail.
 
 
 
 
 
 
A 3-minute video, chocolatehere.

 
Just because ...
  
Blue Crane

 
 


Smiles for Saturday ...
 

 

 

 


 
 

                             Thanks for coming by today


4 comments:

elenor said...

Such a lovely step-by step! Jacki, you know, I love them.
I'm still happy after some wonderful hours with my younger son and girlfriend.
Have a great Sunday, Jacki!

john said...

Great digital. I loved hearing about the artist for the baking show. I watch it and have aways wondered about the delectable illustrations. His work is amazing. :-)

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor. I am glad you liked the card, I do think handmade are special.

jacki long said...

Thanks, John. Me too, the show is great and I had always admired the artwork!