Saturday, October 22, 2022

Day 3716: Wildlife and an elusive key.

 

"Wanton destruction": digital collage




Want music?




Click here: Stevie Wonder, Don't Worry a Thing.
then click back on this blog tab or here to listen as you browse, or not?
 
 
 


2GN2S ...

Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards 2022

In a press statement, the pair said their aim was "to create a competition that focused on the lighter, humorous side of wildlife photography but also had an important role in promoting wildlife conservation at its heart.

This buckarooing zebra in Kenya.

A gentoo penguin gives his mate the snub in the Falkland Islands.

Meerkats joke around in South Africa.

A couple of triggerfish pose for the camera.

A proboscis monkey in Borneo is shocked to the very core.

A black bear cub gets dramatic in Wisconsin.

A squirrel flies like a superhero during a rainstorm in the Netherlands.              
Lappet-faced vultures strut their stuff in South Africa.

  

A moose gives a grin in Wyoming.

A tight squeeze in this owl nest in Florida.

The awards were co-founded in 2015 by professional photographers Paul Joynson-Hicks and Tom Sullam.
 
"With so much going on in the world, we could all use a bumper dose of fun and laughter and this year's finalists have definitely delivered that," said Sullam. Each year the competition supports a conservation organization -- and this year it is working with the Whitley Fund for Nature, a UK charity supporting conservation in the global south.
 



 

The elusive key!

Today I went to lunch with Carole. We always talk too long, but the kind waiters just let us. Anyway, my hearing aid stopped working and I knew it had a new battery, so I took it to Costco at the District, where I had bought it. That is a mammoth store! You could drive a semi down the aisles, and they have big enough crowds to need that. I spoke to the girl, and she was flustered being the only attendant. She said as much, and that she had appointments that she must take, but if I wanted to leave it, she would try to get it done before she got off work at 6pm. It was about 3:15 so I thought I might go home and come back?


As I put the key in the ignition, it fell into an abyss under or inside the drivers seat.It was hot today, as I moved the seat forward and back trying to rescue my AWOL key. I could neither see or feel it. I tried for about 10 minutes and knew I needed help. I called AAA and they no longer have a human to talk to, but instead a chat where you type in your needs. It is different when you are parked in a lot the size of a football field. Besides my phone, I had to describe my 2012 Honda Insight, grey, 6DLJ054 and that I was parked in the second double row from the entrance, fourth car from the end. I got a message, "on the way". I sat with the door open and my legs out, since I couldn't put the windows down. It was hot and the wait went slowly. Then I got a call from the Costco girl at the hearing office, she asked if I was still in the store? I explained that I was waiting in the parking lot for AAA. She was leaving, but would leave it in a container by her phone and that it was now working. 


At 4:20 pm, a white truck went by and I waved to him. He parked nearby and came to see what I needed. I told him and he said, no problem. Within 5 minutes and the help of a slim-Jim, he handed me my key. Now I had to walk back in and retrieve, a long walk both ways but I was so thankful. So driving home I hit the 5 pm traffic but still tired, hot and grateful. TMI?

 

 
 
 
 
A sweet 3+minute video, Rescuehere.


 
Just because ...
 
   
Cinnamon Flycatcher


 


Smiles for Saturday ...
 

  

 

 
 


 
  

                             Thanks for coming by today


4 comments:

elenor said...

I think you had a quite exciting day. But at least there were some kind persons to help.
What a wise smile about being happy.
Have a calm Sunday, Jacki.

john said...

Sorry about your key incident. I had that happen once in Maine. Not fun! You survived as did I. Thanks for your blog and your sharing of your work. Love to visit here. :-)

jacki long said...

Thank you, Elenor! Yes, isn't it funny that it doesn't seem as bad now as it did at the time?

jacki long said...

Thank you, John. Yes, we usually survive. Thanks again for your kind words that mean so much to me.