Friday, April 5, 2024

Day 4240: Loneliest House and Fun Thursday.

 

 

'Promises?" ink, junk collage, watercolor

 

 




  

Want music?

 

    

Click : Charlie Puth, Attention

 


  

 

 
2GN2S


 “The loneliest house in the world”

The first house was built by researchers who came to the island to observe the puffin community.


Inside the unique building on a remote Icelandic island. Join us on a visit with a look at its interior and some of the fascinating legends associated with it, from its supposed purchase by the singer Björk to rumours that a survivalist billionaire built it in preparation for a zombie apocalypse.

 

On Elliðaey, a windswept island in the Atlantic, south of Iceland’s Vestmann archipelago. a rocky 4.5-square-kilometre islet is uninhabited. Unless you count its abundant population of puffins. With no human residents, there isn’t much infrastructure here with the exception of a single house. Spotted by travelers in passing ships, it has become known on social media as “the loneliest house in the world.” Whether it can truly claim that title is hard to say. In any case, the house is a source of fascination and the inspiration for many tall tales.



The island was home to sheep-farming families until the 1930s, when it was deserted—its remoteness and harsh climate led them to look for more inviting pastures. In the 1950s, the famous white house was built as a hunting lodge for puffin hunters. Puffin hunting is a tradition with deep roots in Iceland but it is in danger of disappearing in face of wildlife protection laws, much like the house itself.


The hunting lodge is still in use and the video tours that can be found on the internet show a basic interior, without running water or electricity, but there is a sauna, continuing a long Scandinavian tradition. The house uses collected rainwater and appears quite comfortable, fully paneled, furnished, and heated by a wood-burning stove with sleeping quarters for the hunters in the attic. There is a wooden terrace where guests can take in the breathtaking views of the green landscape outside, surrounded by the ocean.







 
An unusual Thursday. I had a 10 am appointment at  Irvine Clinical Research to see if I qualified to participate in any research studies for memory loss? They do research, but I got 100% on my memory test so I don't qualify. I did give my permission to keep me on file in case that have a preventative studies in the future.

 
More than a two decades ago , I did a timeline series where I went back and re-visited myself at earlier ages. I did mine graphically using old photographs. This one says "I hear I was a happy baby or maybe I was laughing at this hat." Like in many cultures, my parents shaved my head so it would grow in better? So I am guessing, why the hats?
 
 
After the morning meeting . I was scheduled to call Kevin so we could meet up for lunch. He picked


We split a free range chicken sandwich and one of us had a side of brussel sprouts, and one had beets with goat cheese. Wanna guess? I had several errands to do, so Kevin went with me to Trader Joe's, Rite-Aid, and Albertson's, When we left TJ's we were in line behind this car, I asked Kevin to take a photo for me.


I asked, "Do you think they have kids?"

Kevin had come today to learn how to collage and use acrylic gel, watercolors on various canvas and papers. We got home at 2 pm and started in. His first collage on canvas ...



A fun Thursday, thank you Kevin!
 

        

 

 
 
 
 

  
 
A 5 minute video,  Blind Woodworker, here
 
 
 
  
Just because ...
 
 
(Round) Robin


 

Friday's Smiles ...  

 

 





 





  
   
   


 
 
 



 
 
 
 




 

 



2 comments:

elenor said...

Lucky Kevin has his own art teacher! Love the photos of your art session and the great result!
Have a happy weekend, Jacki!

jacki long said...

Thanks, Elenor!
Wishing you a great weekend, as well.